Chapter Thirty- "Because Of You."

Chapter Thirty

"Because Of You."

           The familiar warm gooey gel surrounded my stomach as I watched the doctor prepare for the ultrasound. Today was finally the day that we were able to find out the sex of the baby and the whole way here I was freaking out from excitement. Partly because we would know if it was a boy or a girl, and partly because we would be able to see how much he or she has grown.

             Justin’s sweaty palm engulfed mine with his and he ran his fingertips around it as the doctor pulled the monitor in front of us. Pattie and Jeremy have made bets on what it was but I was still determined on it being a boy. Justin was certain that it was a girl but I don’t think so.

            “Excited?” The doctor giggled when she saw the eager expression on our faces as we stared at the monitor.

            Letting out a nervous laugh in response I said, “Yeah. We’ve been waiting for so long it seems like.”
            Swirling the Doppler or whatever you call it around my stomach, my eyes widened when I could see the form of an actual baby inside of my stomach. It wasn’t that big, no, but it was familiar enough to take shape of the outline of a body. I could see the tiny little head on the left side of my stomach. He or she was lying on her back and it felt like my heart swelled up with unconditional love in that exact moment.

            “That’s so incredible.” Justin breathed out, his chest heaving up and down in an excited state.

            “Did you want to know the sex of the baby or did you want it to be a surprise?”
            “We want to know.” I said way too quickly.

            Moving it around more, she clicked a couple of buttons on the machine to zoom in and paused once her eyes scanned the screen. I could hardly even breathe because I was so nervous.

            “Congratulations.” She replied, the pitch in her voice lifting. “It’s a girl!”

            “I told you!” Justin’s face broke out into a huge, full-toothed grin and kissed me repeatedly three times against my cheek. I can’t believe that I was wrong this whole time but in a way I was kind of relieved. Justin really wanted a girl. Not to say he wouldn’t have wanted a boy, but I’m sure he was beyond happy right now. I didn’t care what sex our baby was. All I cared about was that she was healthy.

            Printing out the images for us to see, she put the Doppler back in its original position and said, “She looks fantastic.”

------

            The rest of the appointment was filled with the tedious questions of where I was having the baby and when the follow up appointment was. We both decided that I was going to deliver in Canada so that we could have the advice of Pattie and Jeremy on how to raise her properly as we were on the flight back to their house.

            Looking out the window of the familiar SUV, Justin had said previously that we were going to look at venues for the wedding. At first I was really excited about the idea but after the long flight there and back I was more than tired and all I wanted to do was just go home. But I didn’t want to worry Justin so I went along with it and placed a smile on my face to let him think I was fine.

            The weather outside everyday was getting colder, making the car shake from the whipping of the wind. I didn’t know whether or not to fall asleep but my answer was quickly answered for me when I saw a small church come into view. The brick of the building looked beautiful against the snow that was freshly printed onto the ground. When I had pictured my wedding this is exactly where I had wanted it to be. I didn’t want some fancy over the top mansion, this was the perfect idea that I had envisioned.