Chapter 5

Mason

I got a call from Michael, on the same day that I've decided to quit what I was doing for the past 10 years.

I reached a point in my life that I didn't know what was right and what was wrong. I couldn't differentiate between them.

Michael told me he had a job for me and I couldn't refuse it. This opportunity came to me served on a plate of gold, it felt like he heard my struggles with balancing my messed up life. I was lost.

I instantly said yes, without knowing what I'd do for him. The job couldn't be worse than my old one. Right? All I knew about this job was that it involved his 20 years old daughter.

Michael was my Dad's best friend since high school, they were like brothers who had to go on separate ways due to some obstacles in their paths. Yet, they kept the contact and talked with each other very often.

With the years, Michael lost his job that held a roof under his small family's head. Dad couldn't ignore the huge crisis that fell upon his best buddy, so he had to help him.

Dad searched for a job that would suit Michael and his family, the search for that lasted 2 years until his baby girl was born. I was 5 when a new soul was brought to this life, I asked my dad what was he doing, and he told me " Making the life of my best friend bright again." As a kid, I ignored the importance of the subject. But as the years went by, I came to realize that my dad saved a family that was about to live on the streets.

He is my ideal role model and he was my best friend. Until...

" Sup' Mason " I looked up from my phone and saw my best friend- Josh standing next to me, near my bed. He was my roommate. We rented an apartment together to save up some money.

I put down my phone and lifted my body off of my bed. I rubbed my hair with my hand and looked at Josh to see him smiling like a creep. " What? " I asked with arched eyebrows.

He sat on his bed that was placed across from mine. " It's just... I'm happy for you, you chose well Mason, I'm proud of your choice. You should have done that a long time ago with me. Look, I'm a happy man. " he slapped his chest and laughed.

I just nodded.

" When are you going to meet up with him? " Josh asked me after seconds of silence. I told him about Michael the day I received his call.

I looked at the clock that was hanged on the wall near his bed. " Now... I think. " I replied then got out of the bed.

" Well, I wish you the best of luck. See you later. " Josh said and I waved him goodbye. I headed out of my apartment and went to my black Kawasaki motorbike, I put on the helmet then drove to Michael's house.

°°°°°

I was waiting for someone to open the door when I heard the door knob twist. I breathed in then out and looked ahead. Seconds later, I saw a very beautiful girl before my eyes. She looked at me with her enchanting wide pale green eyes then arched her brown eyebrows.

" Who are you? " she asked me in a soft voice that made me relax my muscles a bit then she crossed her arms and waited for my reply. She had long brown wavy hair that matched her character. She wasn't too small, yet she wasn't tall...At least not to me. I was tall.

Her beauty was mixed, you could tell just by glancing at her.

As I was about to introduce myself, Michael stood behind her with a big smile. Then he pulled out his hand for me to shake, which I accepted. " Welcome, Mason. Come on in son " he invited me in then we walked to the living room after the girl. I assume that's his daughter?