C. 19

"Friends?"She has so many questions she's ready to burst with the curiosity clawing at her.

Toby pats her shoulder reassuringly, "We'll talk later, I promise."

But she can't wait, she is an encyclopedia with too many blank pages craving knowledge.

***

She stumbles behind Toby, her legs and feet sore after walking for hours. Even with Toby's hoodie on, she was freezing. Her toes and fingers have become icicles her face numb.

She sees Toby glimpse behind his shoulder at her, he stops to let her catch up and suddenly kneels down on his knees with his back facing her, his arms out away from his body.

The corner of his lips quirk up a bit, his playful smile startles her, "Get on."

"Uh.." She stutters, from the cold and hesitation."Okay.." She watches as his smile grows at her response and just under a minute, she was flushed against his back with her arms wrapped around his neck so she wouldn't fall backward.

Heat rolled off him in waves, soothing the coldness that has commanded her mind to freeze. Even after seconds of remaining there, she felt herself thaw, a small content smile on her face.

Toby continues to walk forward, his feet crunching on the thin layer of snow and ice. "You look tired, get some rest." He looks over his shoulder that she rested her head on, the sudden closeness from his face made her flustered.

Instead of responding, she flutters her eyes closed and falls asleep in his comforting warmth.

When she wakes up, it's so dark outside she can't focus her eyes to spot the stars. The looming trees cast shadows over silver moonlight making it eerie.

Y/N yawns quietly and calls out to him, "Toby, are we almost there?"

"In about an hour we will be there. Go back to sleep, okay?"He says to her softly and his voice melts her heart, leaving her questioning the feeling blossoming in her chest.

"Mm...okay."Her eyes closed and she drifts off to sleep once again.

***

She wakes up on a plush surface covered with soft covers. A pillow supporting her neck from behind. Y/N sits up, looks around the room in wonder.

She's on a full-sized bed with white blankets and pillows. The bed is pushed up against a wall.

The floor was made out of wood panels and there was a lush white carpet at the side of the bed.

A small white table flush against the wall on the opposite of the bed with a lamp on top, an armoire beside it.

Four walls made out of wood panels with two empty picture frames hanging on the wall.

There was a window, twice the size of the one she had in her room back in the asylum with long gray curtains that almost brushed against the floor.

Sunlight was streaming across the floor in strands of light and she already felt comfortable in the small space surrounding her.

Y/N stands up from the bed and swings her legs over just to notice her legs, arms, and feet are all bandaged up. Even her hands that were peeling from climbing down the rope when Toby helped her escape were bandaged.

Toby's hoodie was no longer on her, leaving her in her torn gown that was covered in blood and dirt. She can't wait to get new clothes.

Her mind starts to float off towards Saskia but she shakes it off and makes her way out of the room.

There's a small hallway, a door across hers than an opened door beside it, a bathroom. The hallway was lightened up by a window. She gazed out the window only seeing familiar pine trees in the distance.

Deciding to explore more, she walks down the small hall and into what looks like a living room.

It was open and plush with a fireplace sparking orange flames. A thick maroon rug in the center and in front of it was a small couch, the same color as the rug. The room is lit by gentle, warm hues from lamps spread around the room. The natural light from a sky window made it all feel complete and comfortable.

It already feels like home to her, she feels safe suddenly.

"You like it?"

Toby's sudden voice from behind made her jump out of her trance. He is grinning at her when she turns around. An amused look on his face, no doubt by her reaction.

"Yes. It's nice."Y/N smiles. Then she remembers something. She never thanked Toby for breaking her out of the mental asylum.

The reality of being free hits her hard, her heart punctured by thorns.

She steps towards him, hugging him tightly with her face in his chest. She takes a shaky breath and says so quietly, "Thank you...for everything." Then he's hugging her back just as tight after getting out of his tense state."Anything for you, sunshine."

Y/N laughs halfheartedly, "Why do you keep calling me 'sunshine'?" When she thinks he is going to break the embrace he doesn't and keeps her in place.

It was strange hugging someone, it felt different and comforting.

Toby is silent for a moment. Gathering his thoughts."Because you're the only brightness in this dark world."

She feels her heart catch in her throat and she feels like it will break open from her chest from hammering so hard. She wonders if he feels it too, this feeling throbbing in her chest.

Before she could think of a response, she feels his fingers brush against her neck where purple bruises were.

She looks up at him, meeting his eyes as he studies her neck."I'm sorry about that...I never meant to hurt you I just..."

Y/N smiles up at him and he looks surprised for an unknown reason."Don't worry about it, I understand. If it makes you feel any better, I stabbed a nurse with a fork."

Toby raised his brows at her and starts to chuckle with her.

He makes her feel warm.

Fanart from @JazzJazm, thank you! I love it! :D