C. 20

Y/N smiles up at him and he looks surprised for an unknown reason."Don't worry about it, I understand. If it makes you feel any better, I stabbed a nurse with a fork."

Toby raised his brows at her and starts to chuckle with her.

He makes her feel warm.

***

The fireplace is a tiny sun, casting long shadows over the soft rug.

The flames curl and sway, flicking this way and that, crackling as they burn the dry wood beneath. The glowing embers leaped and twirled in a fiery dance, twinkling like stars in the hot swirling air before cascading downwards in reds, oranges, and yellows.

Fire is the most beautiful weapon of them all. It shines with all its glory. Maybe that's why Y/N is so attracted to it?

She tugs the thick blanket around her figure a little tighter as she sits huddled in a ball in front of the fireplace.

It was late now, she could see the stars in the sky by looking up out the sky window.

Y/N had woken up hours ago because of a nightmare and couldn't find comfort in her bed sheets. So she came out here, watching the fire and tossing wood in once and a while when it started to go out. She isn't sure how long its been since she has been sitting here, all she knew is that she would not allow herself to fall asleep knowing her dreams were haunted.

The fire makes her feel warm. As if someone was there next to her. Comforting her, shushing her to calm down and telling her everything would work out fine. That she was okay. That everything was okay.

Even so, it can't always calm her mind telling her to do things. Giving her urges.

Her hands, she realized want to rip the bandages off and strip herself clean of the flashes in her mind from hours ago. She felt shame at her desires, shuddering even in the heat.

She knew she was worse because she didn't have her medication, that the asylum put in her food. Not that it helped much but it was enough to stop this from happening.

She's not sure how much longer she can stay in control of her mind before she breaks.

And she does.

It starts with Y/N rocking back and forth, the blanket discarded from around her and sprawls on the floor. She becomes frightened of her surroundings, frightened of her mind swarming with thoughts brimming her with anxiety.

Her mind is splattered with red and death and the bandages on her arms are torn off, on the floor. She can't control her hands of what harm they cause, her chest feels tight and she starts to gasp in shaky, ragged breaths. She couldn't breathe properly, her mind hazy and she isn't sure where or who she is anymore.

Tears are falling and her hands are clawing. She can't stop, the yearning too strong, surging anger and guilt throughout her whole being. The word murderer repeats in her head, over and over and over.

The beaded blood on her arms was now streaming and smearing all over her already dirty and bloodied gown.

It burns yet she can't get the will to stop herself from further harm to her scorching arms.

Only when she starts to openly cry out, sobs shaking her body, does she hear a thump down the hall then hurried footsteps coming her way. She doesn't care, she doesn't stop and her legs are bleeding too even though she doesn't remember taking the bandages off.

She reaches her hands up her face to claw at her cheeks, but suddenly her bloodied, shaking hands are forced away and she is pushed down on her back, wrists pinned above her head by a hand and a figured hovering over her. A warm hand pressed against her wet cheek.

She isn't sure if she has officially lost her mind because she doesn't recognize the person above her.

She hears voices and sees faces surrounding her. Faces say wicked words, send her thoughts of confusion. She has forgotten who she is, what she was.

Y/N suddenly snaps her eyes at the person above her, the voices clouding her judgment."You can kill me."She says to them, gasping to catch her breath and her head feels heavy, thousands of needles has stabbed her heart and lungs.

"Please...please..you can just kill me--"She pleads, her eyes broken windows to her thoughts welcoming all in. She was in pain, feeling miserable.

They tighten their grip on her wrists above her head."Y/N."A voice with an edge of desperation and fear."Please...please don't say that."

Suddenly she recognized them. That voice, their touch. It was Toby and her gasps start to settle down.

The voices and faces disappear. It's just her now. Just them.

She meets Toby's distressed eyes above her and she feels herself start to relax, the impulse to harm herself fades away to a memory and floats off with the previous ones. "Toby?"She begins to cry again and she feels her tears being wiped away before they fall.

"There you go. You're okay, sunshine. I promise."He says so quietly, his hand slowly releases her wrists from above her head but his hand stays resting on her reddened cheek as she lays completely still, eyes on his dark ones.

She could see the reflection of the fire folding in his eyes and she never wanted to look away, to never let go of the comfort of his touch to her skin.

Y/N wanted him closer, to feel the burning truth and desire of his skin brushing against hers and to never let go. Looking away would break her, pulling away would kill her.

Toby averts his eyes away and pulls her up from the floor gently, not meeting her gaze. Shattering all contact. Breaking her, killing her.

"Let's get you fixed up, sunshine."

Y/N nods and she doesn't know why. She wonders if she is trembling on the outside, her cheek is tingling and her heart is yearning for his touch back just even for a few seconds.

She hopes the orange hue of the fire is enough to hide her embarrassed face. "I'm sorry."She blurts out without thinking, stumbling over her words, "I'm such a screw. You should have left me in that asylum where I belong."

Toby shakes his head, his lips forming into a frown. "It's not your fault. You are not crazy and don't belong there. You belong here...with me."He takes her hand in his and she thinks she has forgotten how to breathe properly.

He smiles at her almost knowingly and leads her to the bathroom to look at her new wounds.

@randomfandomshiz drew this amazing fanart. Thank you!! :)))

 Thank you!! :)))