C. 38

She glares at him with cold eyes, "Don't call me sunshine. I'd rather die than go with you, just leave me here." She was angry now, the sadness of loss was buried deep in her mind. The anger deprived her.

"Y/N, please," He looks at her with pleading eyes and she is surprised to see tears running down his face. It stabs her in the heart, but even if his expression broke her she knew she couldn't go with him.

She couldn't trust him anymore.

***

"Toby...just go." She speaks quietly, her voice speaks of broken, tattered words. She wouldn't admit it to herself, but she didn't want him to go.

Suddenly feeling faint, she wobbles from her sitting position and onto her side. A sudden headache piercing her skull, enough to make her wince. Blood loss was slowly getting to her, she knew she wouldn't last much longer if her wounds went untreated.

Before she can do anything else, she is lifted off the ground by Toby. He carries her against his chest and the sudden warmth of being by him almost makes her smile until she became aware of what was happening.

"Toby...put me down..." She weakly pushes her hands on his chest, her words trailing off as she feels herself slipping away. Toby looks down at her with a pained smile, "Just let me get you out of here, okay? I...I'll leave after and I'll leave you alone...okay?" She doesn't want him to leave and can't find the strength to say anything, she goes limp in his arms. She can't think straight right now, she knows she's losing blood quickly from her thigh. She's angry at him and wants him to leave but at the same time, she just wants him to stay forever.

Toby starts to run.

She thinks she passed out while Toby was running because she no longer felt the rain hitting her face when her eyes open. She gazes up at him, water dripping off his chin and hair, mouth slightly gaped open taking in soft breaths.

She forgets he killed her father, just long enough to call out his name.

He looks down at her and all the anger returns the minute she sees his face. The guilt, red-rimmed eyes and cold, pale skin. She is reminded of what happened.

Y/N was too weak to find the effort to move or struggle away from him. She would never forgive him but knew she would never stop loving him. Her feelings were confusing her. She couldn't think straight in her numb and faint state.

She knows there's more to the story of why he did it. There had to be a reason. He wouldn't do it without a good reason.

The sound of water could be heard in the distance. A river, she can smell it, the air was getting more misty and damp despite it raining just minutes ago.

The peacefulness doesn't go uninterrupted, however, static is all she could describe it. The static was growing louder, her heart jumped up into her throat. Static clouded her already blurry vision. It was painful, especially to her ears. It felt as if they were bleeding. Maybe they were.

He instantaneously stops running once in a clearing. Y/N had to move her head up to see where they were. A cliff. It was a dead-end. The sound of rushing water was definitely coming from the bottom of the cliff. A river.

"Shit," She hears him mutter to himself. The static was worse, "Toby, do you hear that?" She questions him, referring to the static growing louder quickly. She was swooning, ready to pass out again.

His head snaps down at her, "Hear what?" He looks confused, startled.

"The...the static. It hurts..." Her head falls back against his chest, her eyes closing briefly before she saw his expression.

It's silent for a short moment, yet long enough for her to open her eyes again. Toby isn't looking at her, he's looking over his shoulder. His face paler than usual. He was staring at something in the trees.

A noise sounds in her ears, like white noise. It's piercing, enough to make her gasp quietly out in alarm. It felt as if her ears were about to explode. "Toby, what it that noise-"

"We have to jump."

Her eyes go wide, "What-"

"He's here. Hang on."

He runs forward to the ledge, her hands moving to hold onto him tightly, to hold onto anything.

Free falling was a weird feeling. Like flying.

She thinks this as she looks up, the ledge they were just on growing smaller. Like birds, even.

The sky was pink. Just as her body comes to contact with the water she sees it. This creature or thing. Tall, it was freakishly tall. And as soon as she sees it, it's gone as quick as she blinks her eyes.

All at once, there is water surrounding her form and she's inhaling unclean water. She's not holding onto Toby anymore, her grip on him had slipped. She doesn't know where he is.

Y/N moves her one useable arm like she's climbing rocks but it's only water around her. Water that washes around her body preventing access to precious air. She tries to desperately move up but she only seems to be sinking further and is pushed with the current.

After only a few seconds her brain is in full panic, there are no coordinated movements, just clawing through the thin liquid that threatens to invade her lungs.

From her lips comes an explosion of air bubbles when she can no longer hold her breath, moving away from her at a peculiar angle. She almost realizes she isn't facing upwards, that she's struggling upside down to the surface, but already her thoughts are groggy.

Her arm and leg slow down, stop and she floats in the current like a doll. At the corner of her eyes, she sees her small journal floating away, being pulled by the current. Maybe it was time to let go. To let go of her thoughts locked away in that journal, to let go of the past. To let go of her father. To forgive Toby.

A hand clasps her wrist and she is unaware, but slowly she is towed upward to the daylight above.

Only then when her head almost reaches above the rushing water does she feel herself pass out.

It looks amazing, thank you! ❤