C. 21

Toby shakes his head, his lips forming into a frown. "It's not your fault. You are not crazy and don't belong there. You belong here...with me."He takes her hand in his and she thinks she has forgotten how to breathe properly.

He smiles at her almost knowingly and leads her to the bathroom to look at her new wounds.

***

Y/N wakes up the next morning exhausted and hungry. She stares up towards the large window, sunlight spills over her face and bed in gold light. She almost falls asleep again in the warmth.

She softly sighs, getting out of bed while trying to ignore her whole aching body.

She makes her way to the bathroom, bandaged feet softly pattering against the floor. She stops before entering once seeing the small mirror above the sink.

She hesitates, deciding to look at herself in the mirror. She has forgotten the way she looks, she isn't even sure of what her eye color is.

She takes a deep breath in and looks up in the mirror to see how much she has changed over the years.

A face with a lonely and sad expression glares back at her. She immediately recognizes herself but more matured then she was when she was 14.

Her normal skin complexion was somewhat paler than before, all those years without much sunlight had made her look as if she was sick. There were dark purple rings noticeably under her eyes. She looked so tired.

Y/N tries to see the happy girl she was before in her eyes, deep pools of e/c and she is strangely becoming familiar with who she used to be.

Y/N runs her fingers through her hair that hasn't been trimmed for three years and gets rid of the tangles.

Her eyes never leave her reflection, her now broken state now etched into her mind.

She jumps when she sees Toby standing in the doorway staring at her in the mirror, she had forgotten to close the door. "You're so beautiful." He looks at her and she feels her face become hot in embarrassment.

It becomes silent so she starts to speak, "Uh...thanks?" It comes out as a question and she wants to yell at herself for being so jumpy.

Toby's smile fades away, briefly runs a hand through his messy hair, "I'm going to be out for a few hours--"

"Take me with you."

"I can't take you where I am going. It's safer for you to stay here, you never know for sure of what can happen out there. If anyone knocks on the door, do not answer no matter what. I want you to hide if they try to get in, okay?"

"But...what if they find me?"Y/N looks at him wearily, her eyes nervous.

"I want you to hide in my room, there is a secret compartment in my closet. It will be too small for them to notice." He tells her on all seriousness.

She nods slowly then remembered something, "What if one of your 'friends' shows up?" She will ask him about them later.

He thinks for a short moment, "Then I want you to run."

***

Toby has been gone for hours now, leaving her in utter silence. He should be back by now, right?

The hours she was alone, she took a shower, changed her bandages and found some clothes in her room. She immediately threw her gown in the trash. She was wearing gray sweatpants and a large white T-Shirt, starting at the palms of her hands were bandages that went all the way up to her shoulder. The same was for her legs but went up to her knees.

Right now she was eating from a can of pears she found in a cabinet wishing she had someone to talk to.

All was silent until she is interrupted like her wish was suddenly granted

Y/N nearly falls off the couch when she hears someone pounding on the door. She springs to her feet and accidentally drops her can of pears on the floor while staring at the front door.

Y/N's heart is hammering, she's scared. Anxiety flowing like a river through her emotions.

"Come on Toby!"A male voice wheezes, as if he is in pain."I know you're in there!"

Y/N stumbles towards the door. Is this one of Toby's friends? She knows he told her to run but he sounded like he was in pain.

"Toby cmon, man!"

Standing on her tippy toes to look through the peephole in the door, she sees the boy barely keeping his balance, his face scrunched up in agony. He was dressed weirdly, in what looks like a link costume. His hair was a golden blonde.

She wasn't going to let him bleed to death, she wasn't heartless.

Y/N quickly goes to the kitchen and grabs a knife, just in case.

"Toby-!"A weak thump, then the sound of a body falling over. Y/N carefully unlocks the door and opens it, meeting the gaze of the boy's eyes. They weren't human eyes, they were pitch black with red pupils.

With a frightened expression, she goes to close the door in a hurry regretting she ever opened it.

"Wait!" He coughs, she failed to notice it leaking out of his eyes and dripping off his chin.

She stops, knife held tightly in hand, "Who are you?" She felt stupid and foolish. She should have just kept the door closed and waited for Toby to return. Now she has to deal with this demon thing or whatever it was.

"Calm down crazy chick! Is Toby here?"He arises up from the ground, he was really short in size but tall enough for her to almost coward away.

She pointed the knife at his throat with a tight grip on the handle, she wasn't about to trust him just because he knew Toby or because he was injured. "I said, who are you?"

"I'm BEN, a friend of Toby's. Is he here?"He wheezes, hand grasping his shoulder that was bleeding, the other on his left side. He was in no condition to harm her, that thought eased her.

Y/N hesitates before she speaks, "He should be back soon..."She looks at all of his injuries knowing she would feel bad if she didn't help him. She sighs, lowering the knife, "Follow me."

Art by @Sincerely_Anne. Thank you, I love it!

Edit (March 31, 2019): redraw made by the same person