C. 34

The following months, she decided she would try for her mother and brother. She wouldn't give up and try to join them. She would try to live, even if it hurt more than dying.

She stuck to that plan for years. The year she met Toby, that hope of ever living outside the walls was fading and was almost gone out of her reach.

Toby did save her, he saved her life. If he never showed up...she wouldn't be here now.

***

Entry 39

Stare. Stare out the window all day. Stare until I fall asleep. Until the sun goes out as fast as a wink...then I see you at the window, blinking your eyes at me. And everything is alright, I'm okay.

***

For hours, Y/N has done nothing but stare at the ceiling while floating in her thoughts. She studies the shadows on the walls and how they move as the sun starts to set behind the horizon. The light streams fill the room to the brim with warmth, but only until the sun says goodbye will it turn cold.

Too cold.

The familiar sound of rain is heard, slowly growing louder. The sun was still out, shining brightly behind the gray clouds when she peeked out the window. She already knew there would be a rainbow once it cleared all up. She couldn't wait to see it.

The rain freckled the plane of glass, drops sliding down while joining others. She loves the rain, it helps her calm down, helps her take a moment to clear her mind of all thoughts from her head.

There was a figure beside a tree, a mix of a tan orange and white. This seems all too familiar, though under different circumstances.

It finally dawned on her; shit, there was a random man, outside the cabin. And he was walking towards the front door slowly but surely. His strides long and confident. He doesn't look like good news.

How come random men always show up when Toby isn't here? BEN and now this guy, who was wearing a freaky white mask that had black lips and eyes.

The closer he got the more terrified she got.

Quickly, Y/N backs away from the window and makes sure the front door was locked along with all of the windows. Fear was the only emotion relevant to her, after what happened yesterday, she wasn't ready for another serial killer to show up.

She is sure this is one of Toby's old 'work partner'. She knew she should run as he said, but it's too late to run. She wouldn't be able to outrun a killer anyway, and staying in the same room for years didn't really help her physical capability.

He was here.

A loud bang makes her jump, her heart rate increase and she feels it jumping out of her chest. More banging. Eyes widened, breaths ragged and harsh. Her hands trembled at her sides.

Then she realizes that the man was trying to break down the door.

She is confused about where she should go until she remembers--Toby's closet has a secret door.

Not even thinking twice, she rushes to his room and flings open his closet just as the sound of the door collapsing rings around her.