Bonus Chapter; Toby (C. 02)

Bonus chapter!! Hope you like it~

There was a breeze in the air, and if Toby could feel the cold he thinks his fingers would have long ago turned numb, despite the black gloves he wore. Though he was already numb all over, he supposes it wouldn't make much of a difference to feel the cold or not.

His breath pales against the winter air, he blinks thoughtfully at the collection of frost and snow surrounding him. Captivated by the soft, dusty illusions of light that sat heavy on drooping tree branches. He adored winter because he has heard that when you are cold your skin turns numb. He pretends he can feel that cold feeling, trying to relish it by brushing his gloved fingers against the frost-covered trees.

Trudging further on, each step caused snow and ice to crutch under his feet. He grasps at trees to keep his balance when reaching slick areas, cursing to himself in annoyance when he would slip and flop backward onto his back.

He stops in place for a moment, trying to figure out where he was. He had finished his bosses tedious wishes and was now lost in a forest blanketed in snow. Glancing through the trees to his left, he spots a large white and gray building that was a few stories high. He decides to see what the building was for so he would know where he was.

Toby walks to the end of the forest and stops to study the rundown structure. From the corner of his eye, he spots a sign by the quiet road that was deprived of cars.

Free Bird Psychiatric Ward, and below that is said, 'To help you start new beginnings'. Toby doesn't think much of it, he was just satisfied that he knew where he was.

Toby continues to walk along the outskirts of the forest until he reached the back of the facility. He just needed to go East from there, and he then he would be close to his bosses base.

He wasn't too excited about returning. He hated it there. Hated the people that were there. He wishes he had died in the fire he lit in his neighborhood three years ago when he was seventeen.

He wasn't grateful towards the tall man for 'rescuing him'; he despised him for it. Death seemed so much more appealing than to serve an inhuman creature. To him, Toby was merely a slave that he could dispose of whenever he felt like he wasn't useful anymore.

Maybe Toby would do the job himself, to dispose of his entire existence from the face of the Earth.

He thinks he would be better off that way...

Toby pauses to look around to make sure nobody had seen him lurking around. He couldn't afford a witness calling the police on him, it would only cause unneeded trouble. He didn't want to be punished again.

His eyes stop at one of many windows on the lowest floor, seeing if anyone had seen him from inside the facility.

There was a girl.

Toby isn't sure why he froze at the sight of the battered h/c haired girl through the small window. There was this silent pain collected and held in her eyes, her frown never seemed to disappear from her face. It was as if a dark flame had burned her very soul, leaving her an empty shell inside. Yet that emptiness didn't stop the silent pleads to register in her forever seemingly unchanging expression of utter heartbreak.

He doesn't know how long he stands there studying the girl, with his feet planted to the ground, unmoving. He forgets that he had to report to his boss after another success full mission, that he would probably be punished for keeping him waiting too long. But for some strange reason, he doesn't care, tells himself that the monster could wait because he was busy watching this broken yet captivating pain pulse just a few yards away from him.

Only when the girl meets his gaze does he snap out of his hypnotized state. For a second she looks surprised at the sight of him, then she glares at him in curiosity and seems to study him. He watched the girl slowly rise a hand to the plane of glass, watches her lean her forehead against it as if trying to see him up closer despite the transparent barrier trapping her inside.

Toby steps back, deeper into the trees. He needed to leave, so he does. He unconsciously promises himself that he would come back to see her again.

***

Toby found himself wandering to the psychiatric ward after completing a mission. He only notices that he was there when he was at the girl's window.

He sees her in the center of her room pacing, she seemed to be breathing heavily by the quick movement of her chest and shoulders. He didn't notice the first time he saw her, but her arms and legs were covered in white and pink scars, along with new wounds. The destruction of her skin bewilders him for a short moment. He feels himself become more curious about her. He wondered what her story was, why she turned out the way she was.

The sudden movement of the girl snapping her head in his direction brings his mind back to the present. He watches her step back from the window, eyes wide. Her breathing still uneven, her fingers digging into the palms of her hands.

Toby gazes back at her bemused, taking his time to study her appearance. She wore a white short-sleeved gown that reached just above her knees. It was stained with blood and dust. The girl didn't have on any socks or shoes, didn't wear any accessories.

Toby looks up to meet her eyes, only to find her already looking at him. She was closer now, eyes brimming with wonder. The girl looked just as curious as he felt.

He just stares at her, slightly amused by the uncomfortable and annoyed look growing on her face. Thinks to himself how funny it would be to suddenly jump forward and scare her.

The girl grabs a pillow from her bed. She slowly goes closer to the window using the pillow as a shield in front of her. His view is blocked when she stuffs it in the window.

He stands there for a moment, staring at the covered window. He feels the corners of his lips twitch upwards from behind his mouthguard.

She was weird.

Next story part: Bonus Chapter; Acceptance