C. 16

When he stopped running, he had set her down on her feet and they start to walk, Y/N's eyes moving from Toby to the sky. She wishes she could be a star, that way she could always be out of reach from harm's way but still gaze down at all above.

She would be unreachable if she were a star, that thought sounds nice yet even her imagination can't calm her quickly running mind.

***

Her notebook. She had forgotten her notebook, it had went passed her mind when the rushing thrill of seeing Toby and escaping was all she could ponder on.

Y/N turns numb, tucking her hands in further of the sleeves of Toby's hoodie while resting against a tree. That notebook had every thought, every experience, every desire and wish she has ever thought of and she forgot her most valuable, and only belonging she had for so long.

Just like that, it was gone and she would never get it back.

Y/N was so caught up in her thoughts she didn't notice Toby saying her name from beside her. She almost jumps out of her skin.

"Something bothering you?"He asks her, his eyes were so innocent you would never have thought he has killed people. This wasn't his first time doing it either, she was certain of that.

"I forgot my notebook."Y/N looks at him as she speaks. Even in the dark, she could see his eyes suddenly light up as he opens his duffle bag and digs in it for only a moment before he pulls out a familiar belonging."Here."He gives her a crooked smile, a small dimple at the corner of his mouth that she didn't notice before.

Y/N looks at him amazed, plucking her small notebook from his hand, "How did you--"

"I have my ways," He tells her. She actually starts to laugh, trying to repress her incredulity.

Toby stares at her so long that she starts to turn scarlet. Eyes boring into her, he speaks with a deep steady voice, "You should laugh more."

She isn't sure how to respond so she doesn't, remaining hot in the face as she avoids eye contact.

From the corner of her eyes, she still sees Toby looking at her with a grin on his face."Get some rest."

Y/N nods her head and continued to gaze at the stars for a few more minutes. Before she knew it, she was out like a light in a sitting position against a tree.

***

Toby kills people. It slipped her mind completely, or maybe her mind was pushing it away because she didn't have to think about it.

Without realizing it until after, she says to him, "You killed all of those people."

Toby's expression doesn't change much as he gazes at Y/N who had just woken up minutes ago.

"Yes."

"Do you...enjoy it?"She trails off, unsure whether or not it was okay to talk about this.

He seems to actually consider her question. Nods, "Most of the time, yes."

An uneasy feeling fills her, "Why...?"

Toby simply shrugs in response while standing up, slinging his duffle bag over his shoulder."Let's go, we need to keep moving."

Y/N arises up with her notebook held tightly in her hand, running a hand through the tangles in her hair. Toby insisted he carries her notebook in his bag but she feels safer and more comfortable with it in hand.

It was quiet as they walked around trees and over small streams that were covered by a small layer of ice. She takes moments to train her eyes on all of the beauty around her, still not believing she was outside. Until she decided to pick their conversation back up because it still bothered her.

"You enjoy ruining people's lives?"Her hands clench at her sides. This man she has known for months has been a murderer. He kills people because he can. Her family was killed because Saskia was jealous of her. Because she could, she told her father and he carried out killing them.

Toby sighed in irritation, "Just drop it."He says, his tone clearly stating that he had no interest in carrying on the conversation."I can't just drop it, you kill people on purpose. Why would you kill innocent people, why would you-"

"And that girl you killed on purpose wasn't innocent?"Toby replies flatly, a certain unwelcoming hardness to his voice."You are no better than me, sunshine."

A inhale of breath. The surroundings close in, the hard earth beneath her bare feet swirls. The realization. That's right. She did kill somebody on purpose...but that's because it's Saskia's fault her mother and brother are dead. It's her...fault.

"That...that's different. She...she..."Y/N feels her voice breaking at its edges and she wants to scream in irritation at herself and Toby. It wasn't different. She killed someone.

"How is one murder different from another?"Toby spares her a glance from over his shoulder, his eyes are fire and they are burning her skin with unknown emotions.

"She was the reason I was in that damn asylum, ok? It's her fault that...that my-"She stops, her hands relax at her sides and she tries not to stumble over her words, "It's her fault that my mother and brother are dead."

"It's not every day you come home on your 14th birthday just to see people you love dead. My brother was barely four...he deserved everything...he was so precious, now he's gone."She laughs in broken unamusing humor, her eyes brimming with tears.

She knows she's made a point, but she can't stop the words from flowing.

"From there it turned to hell. My own father didn't even take me in because they all believed I was going crazy, not even a single orphanage would shelter me so they just emptied their pockets of me in that stupid isolated place. Nobody would even take their time to consider how I was actually feeling and it was slowly killing me inside--"

Toby stops, turns around. And wraps her in his arms, his face buried in her hair. She hasn't had anyone comfort her for so long, she hasn't had anyone who has cared about her like him for so long she begins to cry.

She forgets he is a murderer, she forgets their situation and grasps at his back, his touch alone was sucking the pain out of her and she didn't want to ever let go.

"The world doesn't deserve you, sunshine."

Toby was her bird and he was flying her away.

Before you read on, look at this lovely art that @Sincerely_Anne made. Thank you, it looks amazing! :)

Send fanart to Kiss3dByRain@gmail

Send fanart to Kiss3dByRain@gmail.com
Or
Post it in a book and tag me.

NOTE:
Do not use or take fanart from here unless you get permission from the artist to use their artwork!

EDIT:
This book is completed but I still accept fanart for it, it will just be put into my fanart book.