#464 "it should've been me" - zen

Zayn: As Zayn made his way down the busy streets of New York City, he was barely paying attention to other people passing by. His sunglasses were on, a baseball cap hiding his dark tresses, making him just barley noticeable. So when he heard his name being called from behind, he cringed. The last person Zayn imagined running into was you, as the two of you hadn't spoken in years. You and Zayn were at one point the best of friends, and that friendship eventually lead to a relationship. When Zayn chose his career over you, you were heartbroken, and it took more than two years to finally mend your broken heart and move on. You met a nice guy, started dating, and before you knew it he had popped the big question, and you had said yes. One way or another, word got around to Zayn, and he eventually had asked you to meet him, so the two of you could talk in private. When you did, Zayn professed his love for you, and as much as you enjoyed hearing those words, you did not a thing about it. You were engaged to a fine man, and though your heart said differently, you couldn't allow yourself to go back to Zayn after how bad he had hurt you. It had been well over five years since then, and you were still married, but not so happily. When Zayn approached you, he didn't seem upset, but willing to talk further. The two of you walked down the street, choosing a quaint little cafe with a table at the back. Zayn had bought you a coffee, much to your dismay, and the two of you sat quietly for a few moments, both searching for the right words. "So? How have you been?" He asks, slipping off his sunnies and cap, getting comfortable in the relaxing arm chair. You sigh, pulling your own shades from your face only to hear Zayn gasp in shock. "Oh, (Y/N)." He whispered, reaching forward to allow his thumb to gently graze the purple and blue markings on the side of your cheek. You nod sadly, unable to find the right words. The two of you talk for what seems like hours, until your finally back to the comfortableness that held your friendship together previously. Zayn informs you that he's yet to find a girl since you, and you feel your heartbeat increase with the sudden topic. As you and him catch one another's gazes once more, you feel his eyes wander to the large bruise upon your cheek. You look away, your face heating with terrible embarrassment. "It should've been you, Zayn." You whisper, your voice so quiet and low you weren't sure he had heard. "I should've followed my heart, because it's always been you." You don't have time to react before Zayn is pulling you into his warm embrace. "It should've been me." he whispered into your hair, kissing the top of your head as thoughts about what's next to come flood your mind.