TRIGINTA TRES

incoming call from JIMIN !
ACCEPT | DECLINE

SEOKJIN : hello?

JIMIN : seokjin! hi! [ pauses ] are you okay?

SEOKJIN : um... [ rubs the back of his neck, softens his voice ] i'm fine, kind of. jeongguk has kind of been bothering me lately. i think our theory is right—either he has an illness, he's possessed, or he's just plain crazy.

JIMIN : [ sighs ] what'd he do this time? 

SEOKJIN : i— [ hesitates, thinking back ] honestly, nothing specific. maybe i'm just letting this case step all over me. he's just been really annoying about everything lately. i ask him questions, and he's so vague. yet, when he asks me, he wants to like, i don't know, delve into my life. i keep getting the feeling that he wants to pick it apart. he's always been a bit nosy, but... to this extent? i don't think so.

JIMIN : i understand. tell you what—the faster we can solve this case at hand, the faster you'll be at peace. i'll treat you to dinner afterwards. what do you think about that?

SEOKJIN : [ exhales loudly ] i suppose you're right. anyways, why did you call in the first place?

JIMIN : i wanted to see if you were doing okay. and— [ pauses; SEOKJIN can hear the keyboards clacking in the background ] how long did you know jeongguk for?

SEOKJIN : uh... [ his eyebrows furrow ] not sure. we're childhood friends, but we have a five year age gap. our families were close. i met him when i was in my second year of high school, so i believe he was in middle school. it's been a while.

JIMIN : so you know about him nearly drowning in that lake, right?

SEOKJIN : y-yeah. that happened after i graduated. how'd you know about that, though?

JIMIN : it was in a local newspaper article. i ran the database on 'jeon jeongguk' with fitting criteria. so, you can say i have a bit of hacking abilities. [ giggles, but then pauses when he does not hear a response from the other side ] i'm joking. i got a bit of help from my friend. but anyways, did you know about this?

SEOKJIN : about what?

JIMIN : yoongi was the one to help him out. he was named as a 'hero' or whatever. i found it on a local newspaper article from a while ago.

SEOKJIN : i... i think i remember him talking about that. yoongi was a close friend of mine, and i'd talk about him intermittently to jeongguk... only sometimes. and he'd say something like 'i'm not sure if we're talking about the same person, but a guy named yoongi helped me out of that river i almost drowned in'.

JIMIN : yep. that's exactly what happened. anyways, do you know about the rest of his life?

SEOKJIN : the rest...?

JIMIN : poor kid actually went through a lot of troubles in his early years. does he ever talk about that with you?

SEOKJIN : um... he hasn't mentioned anything of the sorts, i believe. why?

JIMIN : okay... well, this is one hell of a roller-coaster. [ sighs ] okay. so. he was put up for adoption when he was a baby; his birth parents had dropped him off at an orphanage. this foster family took him in when he was around five, and... [ inhales sharply ] he was abused. he was beaten, sexually abused, and... [ sighs ] just everything of the sorts. poor thing. this family was revealed to have taken in a lot of foster kids for the welfare checks. it's terrible, really. but anyways, get this. the house burned up due to an accidental fire. the parents died. one of the foster children also died in the fire, and it was suspected that the kid who died kept the door of their parents' room closed shut. he was fifteen when he died. after this event, jeongguk found out who his birth parents were, and reconnected with them when he was eight. [ pauses ] this is so terrible. his whole life has been some kind of drama. 

SEOKJIN : i... i didn't know all this happened to him. wow, um, i actually feel really bad. i feel bad about intruding into his personal life like this, without his consent, but... also about what happened. this is horrifying. [ sighs ] so, you think his past had an effect on him?

JIMIN : yeah. the thing is, dissociative identity disorder usually stems from a trauma. kind of like, i don't know, a form of defense, maybe? there's been a lot of cases when something terrible happens to the person, and due to the overwhelming trauma, a personality kind of... stems off and breaks within the person. and when that person is put in a position, whether it be dangerous or whatever, it just kind of triggers the alter to come out. i don't know. you get the gist, don't you?

SEOKJIN : y-yeah. [ sighs ] god, but if he's doing these things... he really needs help. i could go take him to see my therapist, maybe?

JIMIN : i don't know. [ inhales sharply ] i think exposing him to more people is kind of dangerous, especially if they're close to you. [ pauses ] wait, did you tell him about the therapist that you're seeing?

SEOKJIN : um... yeah, i did. i gave jeongguk his name.

JIMIN : what's his name?

SEOKJIN : jung hoseok.

JIMIN : jung... hoseok. [ keyboard clacks rhythmically in the background ] that's weird.

SEOKJIN : what's weird? hello?

JIMIN : he was reported missing by his dad around the same time that jeongguk lied and said he went to busan and didn't. dr. jung didn't show up for a while for his classes. a few days later, right before jeongguk left for busan, he appeared again. [ pauses ] sorry. that's just one hell of a coincidence for it to not mean anything.

SEOKJIN : w-what? is that true? then who have i been talking to this whole time?

JIMIN : i... think it's still dr. jung that you're talking to, because he was later found not too far from the area. when he was discovered, he had traces of anesthesia in his system. he couldn't remember anything that had happened in the past few days prior to his discovery. [ sighs ] he was just given a brief check up by a local hospital, and then he was released. what do you think about that?

SEOKJIN : [ breathes heavily ] you said anesthesia?

JIMIN : you okay? and yeah. you know, it makes you lose consciousness during surgery—

SEOKJIN : no, no, i know what it is. [ inhales sharply ] it's because jeongguk's father runs a hospital. that—that would mean that jeongguk could have access to—

JEONGGUK : ...that i'll have access to what?

SEOKJIN : what the...? what are you doing in my—

JIMIN : seokjin? what's wrong? oh my god, seokjin!

SEOKJIN : [ CALL ENDED : 10:32 ]

···

[ a / n ]
hi ! longer & quality update because i freaking love you guys + i feel bad because in winter break i updated like daily and now it's like ??? please forgive me i am just too busy ,_, in winter break i literally did nothing i don't even think i left my bed for like two days and now it's like :) where is death please take me AWAY but anyways my goal is to finish this novel before it becomes one year since i've published it ! (which is around march i believe.) when this is done, i'll work on 'PROPHECIES' and the rest of the 'PROPHET TRILOGY' + i'll most likely work on 'ORGAN DONOR' next ! :) thank you guys ALWAYS for your support ! <3