QUADRAGINTA UNUS

jeongguk blankly stares at seokjin for a moment before bursting out into laughter, almost to the point where tears were brimming his eyes. "did you kill yoongi? no, no, no. you definitely did not. that was my work. if you think you're going to take credit for my work, you're not. you're mixing things up. maybe if i tell you what you did, the memories you've suppressed will come rushing back."

"what did i do?" seokjin begs, agonized with desperation. "tell me, jeongguk."

"it seemed like you were doing so well in therapy," jeongguk chuckles, looking at seokjin with a smirk. "what happened? are the results in retrograde? you were on..." jeongguk taps his chin, his eyes drifting up as if in thought. "let's see, your ninety-ninth session?"

"how do you know about—"

"i'm jung hoseok, seokjin." jeongguk clears his throat, distorting his voice into another one that was familiar to seokjin's ears. "sound familiar? i'm a good actor, aren't i? here, let me show you something."

jeongguk pulls out another black suitcase from under his bed, this one a little thicker than the last. he opens it up, turning it around to display its contents to seokjin. seokjin only stares back in confusion and disarray.

"this is made of plaster," jeongguk excitedly explains, pointing to the mask that resembled hoseok's features, which was laid cautiously beside a wig and other tools. "when it goes old, i make a new one off of the original, to keep it fresh. i killed hoseok, you know. just like i killed yoongi. but i didn't want to keep hoseok's original face. just not my style. i guess my skills are getting better, though. i didn't know i could trick someone for three years." jeongguk smiled, winking at seokjin. "i showed you his body, don't you remember?"

"w-what? i—" seokjin massages his temple when another wave of a dull headache hit him. "i don't understand..."

"you're so naive... or is it an act?" jeongguk sighs, taking seokjin's chin in his hands, forcing seokjin to look at him. "...after what you helped me do."

"helped? i've never—" seokjin groans at the sharp, throbbing headache. "i've never... i've... never... i just want to... go pack my things... and... leave..."

"no, no, no. you're not going anywhere. are you remembering something, seokjin?" jeongguk smugly asks. "and yes, you have. you've helped me in so many ways before i headed to busan. don't you remember? or do i need to explain every single detail to you?"

"i..." seokjin breathes heavily, his eyelids heavy. before he even understands what is going on, all he can see is black. he suddenly falls forward, slumping on the ground, inert.

···

"jeongguk? where are you?" seokjin talked into the phone, out of breath. "i just took a taxi. i'm almost to yoongi's apartment. why are you even there?"

"s-seokjin," jeongguk's frightened voice came through the speaker. "i'm scared. i—i don't know what i just did."

"what do you mean? what did you do, jeongguk?"

he could hear something shuffling and squelching in the background. "i don't know, i d-don't know what i did. i don't remember anything. h-help me. there's blood everywhere. everywhere." his voice quivered, breaking at the end into a sob.

"b-blood?" seokjin pressed the 'up' button on the elevator, tapping his foot out of impatience. "oh my god, jeongguk..."

"i don't know what i did, please don't yell at me," jeongguk sniffled through the phone, likely wiping tears and his nose as he did so. "everything is so hazy. i'm so scared."