2

I lay in bed, running my fingers through my dark brown hair. I want a cigarette, but I surely don’t feel like sitting up to smoke it. I am too tired and worn out. After I got home last night from babysitting the boys, my mom had asked me to clean the kitchen, along with the dining room. My little sister had a bunch of her friends stay over and they were so busy baking cupcakes and cookies last night. They were too distracted with eating the sweets to clean up, so of course, as always, I had to clean up the mess. I can’t wait until I save up enough money so I can get the fuck out of here. I just don’t fit in with this family.

“Alexis,” My mother’s voice is heard from the other side of the door and I mentally groan. “Janine is on the phone and she needs to talk to you. She says it’s important.”

I crawl out of bed and open my bedroom door to take the phone from my mom. I bring the phone to my ear and greet Ms. Janine who immediately starts to ramble. Ms. Janine is one of my mom’s best friends, so she is like family. They don’t like it that I call her Ms, but I can’t help it. I’ve always known to call her that.

“Alexis, thank god you’re awake. I need to take Brant to the doctors because he is throwing up. Do you mind coming to the house and sitting with Bailey for a bit? It’ll only be about an hour and a half, and I’ll add forty dollars to your babysitting money for later on tonight.” She sounds insanely desperate and I curse my mom for answering the phone, let alone knocking on my door this early in the morning. She knew damn well that she was going to ask me to babysit. “Are you there?”

“Yeah, sorry. Just spacing out. Yeah, I’ll be over as soon as possible. I just have to get changed.” I sigh and I hear a sigh of relief on the other end of the phone.

“Thank you so much. It means a lot.”

Once we’ve hung up, I walk over to my dresser and grab a pair of ripped jeans along with my Pearl Jam t-shirt and waste no time changing. I slide on socks and slip on my Converse before grabbing my purse and car keys. I wouldn’t be surprised if Janine and Jack plotted my death last night and came up with an excuse for me to come over. Jack is pretty intimidating. I push the thought out of my mind and climb into my car and drive off. As I’m making my way to Janine’s, I pass my ex boyfriend’s house. The only reason I remembered it was his is because he was standing in the front yard. He isn’t the type of boyfriend I miss… Not after he put his hands on me. I don’t care who the hell you are, or what kind of anger problems you have; but you won’t be putting your scummy hands on me and expect to stay together. He was such an asshole anyway; and not the type of asshole in a guy that I like. He was honestly disgusting and just completely hard to be with.

I pull into the driveway and make my way to the front door which is already open. Janine quickly says bye before making her way out of the door with Brant in her arms. Bailey is sat on the couch watching Go, Diego Go! and eating a small bowl of dry cereal. I let out a small, defeated sigh and plop down onto the couch, deciding to watch the ridiculous show with him. He giggles when the leopard talks and I smile at how cute the four year olds giggle is. I do love these boys to pieces, but they drive me up the wall-

“Ugh, you’re here again?”

I look up to see the slightly familiar tall, tanned boy in just his Calvin Klein boxers, stretching and yawning at the same time. His arms flex as he stretches and I’m parched at the sight, my mouth slightly hanging open as he looks at me.

“Where’s Janine?” He asks in his raspy morning voice and I bite my bottom lip, not realizing that I was staring until he clears his throat. “Um, earth to Alexis?”

“O-Oh, she um, she had to take Brant to the doctors because he was throwing up.” I assured him and tried getting myself together. I never act like this, so I need to make it seem like his appearance doesn’t faze me at all. What am I saying? It doesn’t faze me at all in the first place.