14

I sit on my bed, giving myself a minute to actually wake up. I drove Jack home last night right after we left the beach. We didn't talk much after he clarified that he never wanted to have sex with me. I don't even care because I wouldn't let him take my virginity. I mean, in reality, this isn't a fucking romance novel and I'm not going to fall in love with a guy without knowing him. I'm definitely not falling in love with a player who just so happens to be extremely good looking. But I don't have to worry about falling for him, because he doesn't like me.

While thinking about this ridiculous topic, my mom walks into my room.

"Go help Quinn clean up the yard and possibly skim the pool for me. We're having a cookout today," She tells me and I look at her with a dumb expression on my face.

"When did you plan a cookout without me knowing?"

"Two weeks ago, but you're never home and if you are you don't talk to me." She says in a disgusted tone. "Go help your sister." And with that, she exits my room, slamming the door on her way out. I roll my eyes and climb out of bed to use the bathroom. I really don't wanna go out there and help... then again I don't want people at my house today.

-

Once I've straightened up the backyard which I really did by myself considering Quinn gave up minutes after I came out to help, I got in the shower shaved and picked out my outfit for the day. I decide on black ripped skinny jeans with lace leggings underneath, a Suicidal Tendencies t-shirt and my black Doc Martens. I straightened my hair and did my makeup, just as people start pulling into the driveway.

And so it begins.

I walk through the house and to the backyard, not expecting it to be packed already. I don't even know half of the people here. Probably my mom's boyfriend's friends and family.

"Lex, get in the pool!" My cousin Tessa yells but I act as if I don't hear her. I look around for about another minute and decide to go inside. I shut the sliding door and turn around, bumping into someone.

"Going somewhere?" He smirks.

"Jack," I breathe. "What are you doing here?"

"Janine said her friend was having a cookout today and when we pulled into your driveway, I was shocked to see that it was your cookout." He says, leaning on the wall. "Where are you going?"

"To my room."

"May I follow?"

"I guess." I walk to the staircase and run upstairs to my bedroom. I don't wait for Jack as I enter my room and fall on my back on my bed. Jack shuts the door and begins looking around my room as if he's never been inside of it before. I watch him as he walks over to my bookshelf, examining all of my books. He reaches up and touches my Slash doll. "Don't touch it!"

He jumps at the loudness of my voice and backs away from the bookshelf and walks to my bed.

"We should smoke." He suggests and I shrug. I don't want to be around him right now. I don't want to be around him for a while. "Or not..."

I stay quiet and when my door is pushed open, I sit up. Sebraeya runs in before I can ask her what she's doing.

"Cameron kissed me! He finally kissed m- oh... hi Jack..." She stands there awkwardly, looking from me to Jack.

"Um, hi Sabrina." He mumbles.

"It's Sebraeya. Am I interrupting?" She asks.

"No," I say and Jack says 'Yes' at the same time. I squint my eyes at him. "No, Sebraeya... you're not interrupting."

"Are you sure? Because I can leave if you'd like me to." She says and I shake my head. "Okay... but can I talk to you privately about um.. Cameron?"

"Yes!" I say way too excitedly and jump off the bed to run to the bathroom, grabbing her arm on the way. Once we're in the bathroom with the door locked, she begins to speak.

"We've been hanging out a lot, I mean... a lot. Well we went to the carnival yesterday and we were flirting the entire time, then he took me home and we hung out for a little bit. We ended up play wrestling and he pinned me down on the floor and he stared at me for a second before kissing me." She smiles.

"Aw, Braey! I'm so happy for you." I say. "I knew from the second he walked into Janine's house, something was going to happen with you two."

"I really didn't know what was going to happen. It just bothered me that he kept looking at me the way that he was." She explains and I nod. "So what's going on with you and Jack? You've been hanging around with him a lot lately."

"Trust me, nothing is going on." Usually I'd tell Sebraeya about us kissing and all of that other good shit. But I don't want her or anyone else to know because I don't want them to be expecting something to come of us.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm more than sure. He's just a cool, chill guy. And he likes to smoke, and that's all we really do." I lie and she chuckles. "Honestly, he's just a friend."

"Okay," She mumbles. "Would you like for me to leave you and your friend alone?"

"No, you can chill with us." I hope she will.

"Alright."

-

We all sit around, staring at the screens of our phones. I'm laying on my back at the top of the bed, Jack is laying with his head near my feet and his feet near my head, while Sebraeya lays at the very end of the bed.

I feel his hand on my thigh, running up my leg, closer to my off limits area. I quickly place my hand over his and he flips it, interlocking our fingers together. I try pulling away but he tightens his grip and when I give up, he runs his thumb over the top of my hand.

Now I wish Sebraeya wasn't in here.