35

September 10

I wipe down the counters and smile at what good of a job I've done. We got the apartment a week ago and it's very nice. Jack is officially moving in today since he is now eighteen and I'm so excited. I open the oven to see if the brownies I'm baking for him are almost done. I mean, what's a better birthday present than pot brownies? The timer goes off and I quickly take them out and let them cool down.

"Hello?" I hear Jack shout from the front door and I can't wait to see his face for the first time in two days. He's been busy packing his stuff and I've actually unpacked a little while he was at Janine's. He walks into the kitchen, a large smile on his face.

"Happy birthday, baby!" I shout, running and jumping into his arms. I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him sweetly. He pushes me against the counter so that I'm sitting on it. "I'm so happy that we're finally able to be alone," I tell him, running my fingers through his dark hair.

"You and I both. My boxes are in my car and um, we sort of have company on their way," He tells me and I knit my eyebrows at him. "Uh, my parents are coming to Cali for a few days and when I told them I wasn't coming back to Nebraska, they asked all these questions and I told them about the apartment," He says with a worried look on his face. "So, they insisted on visiting since they haven't seen me in months."

I nod and become a little nervous.

"Do you think they'll like me?" I ask and he shrugs his shoulders. I scoff and push his chest. He chuckles and pulls me closer to him, placing a peck on my lips.

"There's honestly no saying, babe. They aren't really.. like-able people." He tells me while running his hands up and down my thighs. "And who cares if they like you? It's not like we'll be seeing them much at all,"

"I guess you're right. But I think I should tell you that they'll be here any minute." He says and I freak out before jumping off of the counter. "What's wrong?"

"I need to get ready!" I shout before running to my bedroom and stripping from my lazy clothes and into jeans and a Guns-N-Roses t-shirt. I turn my straightener on and while it's heating up, I do my makeup. Once I'm finished that, I run my straightener through my hair for a few minutes. I rush to the bathroom and brush my teeth. To my absolute surprise, Jack hasn't come in to try and grab at me like he usually does when I try to get ready.

I spray perfume on and look at myself in my body mirror. I decide to just wear socks instead of putting on shoes because I want to be comfortable in my own home.

I take one last look before walking into the living room, witnessing Jack talking to who I'm guessing are his parents. I nervously stand off to the side and Jack sees me before waving me over. I approach them and he puts his arm around me.

"This is Alexis," He says. "My girlfriend." He smiles down at me and his mom smiles.

"Hi sweetie. It's nice to meet you," She says, giving me a quick, small hug.

"It's nice to meet you also," I smile politely at her then at his father. He gives me a small smile back.

"So do you guys live here together, or-"

"Yes," Jack cuts his father off. "That's actually something I really wanted to tell you. We decided months ago, before we started dating that we we're going to be roommates and help with renting an apartment. Then we just started dating almost a month ago," He explains and his mom seems all for it but his father... not so much.

"And how long have you guys known each other?" His dad asks.

"Five months," He says and his dad's eyes widen.

"That's it? And you're already dating and living together?" He asks, completely shocked.

"David, it's okay. We only knew each other for two months before we started dating," His mom says, interlocking her arm with her husbands.

"That's not the point. They are young. He just turned eighteen and he's already tied down to some girl," His dad snaps and I can feel my temper rising.

"She isn't just some girl to me, dad." Jack speaks up. "She's helped me with a lot and she's a great person. If you'd just take the time to get to know her, you'd think differently."

"Well," His dad chuckles. "If she's anything like you, I won't even take the time,"

"I'm not going to sit here and let you talk to me like I'm some kid," Jack wipes his hands on his pants and I reach beside me to hold his hand. He squeezes mine and I've never seen him so nervous before. I'm guessing he's never stood up to his father the way he should have years ago.

"That's all you are. A kid," He tells Jack. "And you'll soon realize that this is all a mistake. She's beautiful; do what you need to do with her and send her off to be on her own."

His words hit me like a fucking bus and I really want to say something but I'm really not trying to ruin this.

"Excuse me, sir." I say without realizing it. "I really don't appreciate the way you're speaking of me." I say politely and he crosses his arms while staring at me.

"I don't like that you're slowing my son down,"

"How so? He's now eighteen and he's living. His life is going by fast and I think it's time that he settles down." I say to his father and I'm ready for them to leave. The pot brownies pop into my head and I'm scared if they'll see them and ask for one. That'd be funny.

"We're leaving. Your mother will be by tomorrow to see you." His dad says and rushes his mom out the door, slamming in behind him. I look at Jack and he suddenly looks stressed.

"Hey, listen... don't worry about it because I don't care if he likes me. This is about us, not him."

"I know. He just fucking pisses me off,"

"I know," I smile and run my hand up his arm. "But, let's go eat these fucking brownies!"