➣ bucky barnes

the winter soldier remembering you

---

"The girl..." Bucky started, though he wasn't Bucky in the moment, he was property of HYDRA, but his memories came back in flashes. "I knew her..." The memories haunted his dreams, and though he tried to hide it, he had to try and talk his way through it.

A fire. Fire sparkling and spreading around the building. James. Strapped down to a table, waking up to see her face... your face. The face of the girl he knew he knew somehow. As the dreams went on, the memories became more detailed. Trying to escape desperately, somehow the platform began to spread and James was separated from you. He stood on the other side while you stared up at him, fearing for his life more than your own. "Just go! Get out of here!" You yelled, motioning towards the exit, knowing you'd just hold him back.

"No! Not without you!" He yelled in desperation, the fear beginning to settle into his veins, the fear that he would never see you again.

He would wake up at that point, sweat beading his face and chest, his long hair sticking to the sides of his face. He would sigh and throw his head in his hands, wanting to scream but careful not to let out a peep. He knew what you looked like, he knew you were close. So he drew you, kept a small journal to himself and hid it away carefully. Within it contained your looks, every detail he could capture from the dreams; he wrote about his dreams, the memories he had just so he could keep you close to him. That was a common reoccurring dream, but there were few others, mostly he would just live through them night after night in desperation to get just more of a glimpse of you. The girl in his dreams.

He remembers the first time he went to war. How scared he was when he saw the enemy, a man - someone who also occurred in his dreams (Steve) - stood next to him with the same amount of fear in his eyes. And he remembers getting shot, a fluid and fast moment impaling him in the stomach with a small spurt of blood staining his face before he even looked at it. He couldn't quite feel it at first, but it was as if his life had slowed down, the ringing in his ears drowned out the rest of the yelling, gunshots and explosions. He looked down at his uniform, seeing a small blood stain spreading like a bacteria along the green military suit. He remembers falling to the ground, Steve coming up to him and making sure he was safe. After, he took you to a nurse, the nurse was you.

"Mr. Barnes..." You breathed in a slight panic, knowing who he was, but the two of you hadn't gotten familiar yet. "Gunshot to the stomach... I can fix this Mr. Rodgers, please get back out there." Steve gave a final nod of confirmation before running out of the tent doors. He felt empty, and the stars flashed in front of his vision, the voice of you drowning out the fear he felt. "Look at me, Mr. Barnes. Everything is going to be alright..." That's when he blacked out.

When he woke up, he saw you by his side, placing new bandages over the wound. It hadn't gotten infected, and it looked like you did a good job in taking out the bullet and stitching the wound. "Mr. Barnes, you've decided to join us." You said, giving him a kind smile, something he hadn't seen in a long time.