➣ hank mccoy

talking to beast when he's young about his mutation

---

"Mr. Mccoy..." You said, sitting down with a clipboard, crossing your legs and trying your hardest to look as professional and as sympathetic as possible. He was just a young kid, and yes you had worked with children with powers in secret, but this was something like you'd never seen it before... it was extremely abnormal and you were extremely intrigued.

"Um... p-please... you can call me Hank. I-if you'd like I mean..." He said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously, he almost seemed embarrassed of his mutation, but you knew your friend Charles would love to hear about this.

"Okay Hank." You said, giving him a warm smile that seemed to ease him just a little bit. You decided to look into his eyes, generally that made people feel more comfortable with the person in front of them. They were a gorgeous shade of blue and you could see the emotions swirling within them. Confusion, anger, sadness, embarrassment, but nothing that had to do with happiness. "My name is Dr. (L/n), but you can call me (y/n) if that's any easier. I'm here to talk to you about the incident you had in school... something about... hulking out? Pardon the term." The young boy shrugged, looking down at the ground in embarrassment. "Hank... do you realize how special you are?" This made him look up in surprise, almost intrigued to learn more of what he didn't already know. "If we're being honest..." You leaned in for effect, making the young boy do the same, causing you to smile brightly. "I'm just like you..."

Hank cocked his head to the side, curiosity brimming within those gorgeous baby blues. "I have a mutation as well-"

"What is it?" Hank asked; you already knew how focused he was on finding a cure for his own mutation, most of the time staying in for chemistry to do extra work on it. If only you could make him see how special he actually was... his mutation was... extraordinary.

"I'm an empath... I can feel other's emotions. Not very useful but... it's there." You shrugged, tucking your hair behind your ear while some strands still hung loosely in your face. "For example, you're curious... about my mutation and your own... and you're embarrassed, embarrassed of something you shouldn't be embarrassed about, and this mutation-"

"Can you please stop using that word?" He said, exasperated and sighing, looking towards the ground with anxiety contorting his face. "It makes me sound like I have a disease."

"No, no... Hank just the opposite." You said, and he looked at you. At this point you could see the scared boy within him, a boy who wanted to know what the fuck was going on. "Listen, you have a rare, rare mutation. And I know now you think it's a burden but I promise you, you will learn to accept and possibly love it in the future." His ragged breathing began to calm down a bit, and you could see the color coming back into his eyes. "I can help you... but you're going to have to let me."

He was scared, extremely scared. Hell, the boy was barely a junior in high school... and he was just now learning about his feet and how they came to be. You figured he wasn't ready to meet Charles just yet, as he did have a bit of an overwhelming personality, especially when it came to rare mutations like this. "You're going to have to let me see..." Your eyes travelled down to his feet, and you could automatically see and feel his body heat up in worry and embarrassment. "You're safe here, Hank... you can trust me."

"Thank you... I've never... never had that." He seemed dumbfounded by your kindness, labelled an outcast by his family and most likely being shunned. Sighing, you put your hand on his shoulder and have him a sympathetic smile; immediately, he felt his nerves relax as he exhaled a large breath. 

"I promise I can help you. If you even need it."

You knew it would take him a while to accept himself, but you knew you would push him to eventually.

Eventually.

---

yep