Chapter 16

I dipped my feet into the cool water, and let out a long breath. It was nice to finally be free of the endless desert, and it's unforgiving heat. The strange thing was the second we left the desert, I felt 100 times better, and the second the water touched my skin, my body felt as if I had just slept for years, and woke up ready to work. 

I closed my eyes, allowing myself to move knee dip into the water. I opened my eyes as Aang screamed, and jumped into the water. He created a huge water bomb. The wave washed up, pushed me down and soaked me. I jumped up, as the water dripped down from me.

"Ugh- Aang!"

I looked at Sokka, water dripping into my face from my hair.

"My maps are all wet!"

"So, I'm all wet!" 

Katara got out and bended the water from the papers. Aang followed her, only he came up to me, where I stood near the banks of the water.

"Here, Amaya, let me take your robe, and dry it."

He reached out, but I backed away and wrapped the wet cloth around myself tighter. Underneath, all I wore was a green top, which revealed both my back and stomach. My bottoms were simple shorts that cuffed at my knees.

Shaking my head, I moved away more.

"No, Aang, it's fine, really. I-I-I have it covered."

"No you don't, Amaya just let Aang dry it for you."

I glared at Katara, before hastily turning my gaze back to Aang.

"Really guys I'm fine!"

"Katara and Aang are right, you could get sick."

"Shut. Up. Sokka!"

I released my hands from my robe, as I screamed at him turning my gaze from Aang. He took that as a way to get my robe- actually they all did. Aang blasted a string of air, pushing the coat open, as it flew open Katara ripped it from my body. I was so taken back, I lost my balance. The wind pushed me back, and I was tossed into a rock. I lost my breath as I impacted the rock, and slid to the ground.

"Ugh!”

"Maya, I'm so-"

His sentence was cut off with a gasp. I gather my breathing back, as I rested against my hands and knees. It was in that moment I realized my robe was gone, and they were all; not counting Toph, were staring at my back. I stumped to stand, as my breathing got short. As I got my balanced on my feet, I looked down at my stomach, and then at them. With tears in my eyes, and I turned to run.

"Amaya wait!"

As they screamed at me, I bended a strand of fire at them, before taking off.  I didn’t want to talk to them or be followed, so I needed to make it clear. To which I think I did.

~~~

Aang couldn't believe his eyes, as he saw Amaya's back for the first time ever. It wasn't the same color of natural tan, but different unnatural shades of reds and pinks. It wasn't smooth like a normal back either; it looked like an old person's, all pruned and wrinkle. As she stood, there were a few very thick red lines lining her sides. Some were so long they even crossed her stomach. She looked at them all, mortified and bluntly sad. As Aang reached out to her, she bended a line of fire so large at them, they fell back. By the time the crescent shape died away, she was gone.

"What happened? And where is Amaya going?"

They all looked at Toph, forgetting she couldn't see, but only feel. No one spoke, not even Sokka, who would normally make fun of her.