Chapter 21

When he heard the door opening he got up from the couch where he’s been sitting the past half an hour and headed in that direction, his heartbeat fastening because the thing he’s been worrying about all along was finally happening. If Jungkook’s mother was regarding their relationship in the same way as his own mom did, they were going to have a long few days.

Truth be told, he didn’t know much about his boyfriend’s family because he rarely spoke about its members but that didn’t mean he didn’t want to make a good impression. He shyly stepped in the hall and he would have normally jumped into Kookie’s arms but this time he only smiled at their guest, involuntarily crossing his legs. She was a bit taller than him, had shoulder-length black hair and even if she looked very tired, it was clear she was beautiful. Her black eyes were scrutinizing his frame and he felt his cheeks heating as he kept tugging on his sweater paws.

“Good-good evening!” He got redder once he began stuttering and finally looked her in the eye as he presented himself. “My name is Jimin, I’m happy to meet you.”

“I am glad to meet you too, I’m Eunyeong.” She seemed a bit hesitant but as soon as Jungkook undressed his jacket and put his shoes aside he approached his boyfriend and took his little hand in his.

“Hi, Jiminie.” He would have kissed his lips but it wasn’t appropriate so instead he squeezed his hand before letting it go and grabbing the bags.

“P-please come in, I have prepared tea. Kookie – “ He gulped at the realisation and immediately corrected himself. “Jungkook told me green tea is your favourite.”

“How considerate of you.” Mrs. Jeon said and followed him as he lead the way to the kitchen; she enjoyed the way the place was decorated and she muttered something about that before taking a place at the wooden table. Jimin already prepared three cups (the nicest they owned) and took a big breath before grabbing the kettle by its handle, a bit surprised by how hard his hand was trembling. As soon as he tried to pour the coloured substance got all over the table and the floor and he felt panic rising when the woman got up, hurrying to grab some napkins.

“No- I got this.” He mumbled but Mrs. Jeon was already on her knees, trying to clean up the little puddle that formed on the ground. He felt like crying and Jungkook, who just entered the room, must have seen that his eyes were glistening because he went closer and rested his hands on the boy’s shoulders.

“What happened, baby?” The pet name slipped off his tongue but he didn’t regret it because Jimin was looking miserably as Mrs. Jeon got up and threw the napkins away.

“Nothing, just a bit of spilled tea.” That was her speaking and Jungkook’s eyes widened at the kind smile she offered. “It’s alright, we have plenty left.” The woman gestured towards the kettle before she took it and began to pour in the cups herself, sitting down afterwards.

“Thank you, I’m sorry.” Jimin mumbled and the brunette seemed surprised by the scared look he had on his face. For the first time she could study his appearance and she had to admit the boy was very beautiful – he had a doll-like figure, the most outstanding feature being his mouth and he was looking tiny compared to her son who was now holding his hand. The blond gave the impression that he needed protection and her motherly instinct just couldn’t ignore that.

“Don’t worry about it, I am beyond grateful that you let me stay here.” These were her sincere thoughts and the boy furrowed his brows slightly before grabbing the cup he chose for himself. All that Jimin wanted were some snuggles but those were impossible to achieve and instead he quietly answered every question Mrs. Jeon had for him – about college, his family and so on – trying to avoid her searching eyes which seemed to examine his every movement. Jungkook was paying attention to both of them, trying to temperate the uncomfortable situation and smiling encouragingly whenever he felt his boyfriend was unsure of what to answer. It wasn’t like his family could ever influence their relationship but he would have been the happiest if they would have managed to get along.