Ch. I

On December 16th, a man walked away from my mother and never returned

On December 16th, a man walked away from my mother and never returned. He took one glimpse at me, cradled in a blanket, innocent and new, then left the hospital through the blizzard and fled the country. I guess I wasn't good enough, then again, my mother wasn't either. That man was my father. His name was Sebastian, that's all I know.

Based on my feature, though, I see myself as him somewhat since I look nothing like my loving mother. Sometimes, I wonder what he looks like, if he has brown hair like me, and amber eyes since my mother has green eyes to make mine hazel. I oftentimes question if he was lengthy like me, or bulky like my next door neighbors dog.

Not only did Sebastian come into my mother's life randomly, but he also left randomly. It was his decision to have me, his decision to date my mother. Only, I guess it was me that drove him away. Maybe he thought in that moment that he wasn't ready for a child. Or he didn't want a child with my mom. All I know is that Sebastian is one horrible man for leaving an innocent baby girl to grow up without her father.

Although my mother tried to be my father figure, like teaching me to ride a bike, or teaching me how to eat meat like a mad person, it never made up for having a man with me to support me and love me.

So I guess my mother finally thought it was time for a man in my life when I was fourteen years old. That's when David popped up into my life with his cheerful grins. Like me, his children grew up without a father because just when his newborn son, Carson, was born, he and his wife got a divorce. She somehow ended up getting full custody of them, and apparently, he only sees his two boys once or twice a year. I've never met his sons in the three years my mother has dated David. Which is why my mother is telling me to be home by five o'clock sharp tonight.

I'm meeting his kids.

Just recently, David's ex-wife died in a car accident. Although it's sad, it's also exciting. I want to meet the boys that could one day be my best friends. David says his boys are older and not like five. One is fourteen, the other my age: seventeen. I'm pretty excited to meet the seventeen-year-old. We could become best friends and our limits can go beyond just being siblings.

My mother tidied up the house today. Moving all the dishes, reorganizing posters, folding towels extra perfectly, all that jazz. I can tell she's nervous (she cleans when she is nervous).

Although, I am, oddly enough, a pretty messy teenage girl. But then again, it's in my nature, unlike my mom who has her books organized based on colors, authors, and titles. I bet Sebastian was a messy person and my mom was always cleaning up for him.

"Kenna!" My eyes snap open from their narrowed stare, only to reveal a basketball flying at my face. Quickly diving the other way, my elbows scrape against the cool hard gym floor and my mouth lets out a growl. Snapping my chin up, scowling at the person who is the only one in the gym handling a basketball--well was. My best friend, Alex Vinch stares at me with his face scowling back, a light in his eyes I know is humor.