Ch. 18

I'm surprised to see Mason pull up to a bright house

I'm surprised to see Mason pull up to a bright house. I raise my eyebrows at him, but he just smiles. He gets out, making me follow and drop onto some old blacktop. Mason comes around the Jeep's side and looks me over. He nods his head toward the door, making me follow him inside. What I see shocks me.

People skate around a disco ball with grins on their faces and music signing in the background. People eat soft pretzels, slushies, and play arcade games. Some people sit down while there's a party going on in the corner. A jungle gym is lit up for children, and some tables are placed randomly around the interior. Mason talks to someone who hands over two sets of roller skates with orange wheels on the bottom. My eyes widen and I look at Mason.

"I can't skate. I'm horrible."

Memories of me falling to the floor flood my mind, reminding me of the time I broke my ankle while with Alex and Morgan. I fear that will happen again, but Mason turns around with warm eyes.

"Don't worry. I can help you."

If Mason sees the fear in my face, he doesn't acknowledge it. He just pushes open a door and takes us into the full place. Music sings, kind of helping me forget the nerves in my stomach. Mason plops down on a bench and hands me a skating pair.

"How did you know my size?"

"I snuck into your room earlier."

"Oh. Great."

"It's not that weird," Mason smiles.

"It kinda is," I tease. Mason looks over at me, grinning still. When he sees I'm kind of having a hard time getting my skates on, he comes over to me and crouches down. He takes the skate from my hand and unties it. Seconds later, he is slipping on my shoe like in Cinderella.

"Your majesty," Mason must think of the same thing. I giggle and look around again. Some kids giggle as their parents watch lovingly behind them. Mason tackles my next shoe, sliding that one on as well. Then he stands up and offers me his hands. I take them, wrapping my fingers around his. He pulls me up, literally dragging me behind him as he professionally skates around on the purple and green carpet we are on. We come to the entrance of the arena of skating, making me pause.

"Wait. I'm horrible at skating," I tell Mason and grab his strong elbow.

"It's okay, Ken. Just stick with me," he reassures, his dark eyes looking right at me. I take a deep breath and nod, giving him the order to start.

I follow his orders and practically wrap myself around his arm. He slowly pulls me into the ring, and skates close to the wall, slow for me. When I realize Mason will not let me fall, I gradually slide my hands back from around his bicep and only hold his hand. He takes the lead in front of me, almost floating because he is so good at this.

"Why are you so good?" I ask him. Mason blushes a little and shrugs.

"I don't know. I usually went skating with Carson in my old house. We lived right next to one."