Ch. 3

Alex sits across from me on his bed, his hair all messy and eyes almost as red as his shirt

Alex sits across from me on his bed, his hair all messy and eyes almost as red as his shirt. Today, he asked me to come over because he got zero sleep last night because his parents were fighting and he had to comfort his little brother, Braylen. I said I would come over, and I knew he wanted my comfort as well. His parents have always had problems with fighting.

    Alex has never called Morgan over to help him, mostly because she is terrible at comforting people. She will make them feel worse somehow, it's just her personality. So these little sessions of him ranting about his parents, hurting, are a secret kept between us. More than a few times, he's told me Braylen has cried, but now that he is older, he barely does. Instead, Braylen sticks out his chest and becomes an ultimate steel armored man, inside and out. He doesn't cry, yet, he hurts. Like Carson, Braylen is now going on about fourteen, although he is only thirteen he will be turning one year older in about a week. He's still such a small, naive child that it burns my heart to see how his parents fight. I know, because I've been here when it happened. I was here when Alex's mom slapped his dad right across his chiseled face and kicked him out. The only reason those two don't get a divorce, it's because they can't pay for it. That...and well...I like to tell Alex it's because his parents love him and his brother. Even though I've heard the divorce talk many times through the walls while Alex was busy. Its simply so terrible, I'm just glad I can be here for my best friend.

    "How are you?" I ask. My voice feels foreign from the silence we have been in for the last ten minutes. He just sat there, not talking, not smiling his Alex smile, just...motionless. He's done this a couple of times before, staring into space and all, and I know it's him thinking.

    "I'm okay. Its Braylen I'm worried about, Ken," Alex stares at me with his red eyes, his lips a straight line. I move my body across the bed and sit next to him, his body warmth extremely high next to mine. I can feel it even as my shoulder barely brushes his. He's sweating and not doing anything.

    "How about physically?" I ask. He could be sick, and that would be worse. His big game is coming up soon, he can't miss that. Neither can Morgan, who is currently on a flight home.

    "A little headache, and fatigue." I nod my head slowly at Alex's information, going through any possible illnesses.

    "Where is Braylen at?" I ask. When I got here, Braylen wasn't. I went to his room super fast to check on him and get my hug hello since I think of him as my brother. All I found was an empty bed and some computer screen bubbles.

    "A friends house. I told him to go and stay with a friend for the weekend." I nod again. That's a good plan. Alex is always thinking of ways to get Braylen to escape his reality. Whether its new games he's bought for his console or movies. Something that can keep a fourteen year old joyous and childish like they are meant to be.

    "Good idea," I comment. Alex just mumbles a thank you and then rolls over to lay his head on my shoulder. I instantly run my fingers through his curly hair, giving him a mini massage. He just sighs and grabs my waist.