Ch. 12

I wake up Monday morning with a start as my alarm clock rings in my ear

I wake up Monday morning with a start as my alarm clock rings in my ear. Quickly rolling over, I slap the turn off button and open my eyes googly. The sun shines in my light colored curtains, lighting up my room even though it's in the morning. I close my eyes then open them after I'm done rubbing them. I slide out of my bed, snapping the covers back when Im out, and then walk slowly over to my closet. I select a random shirt and some skinny jeans. I slide my feet into some sandals and grin at myself in the mirror. I run a comb through my hair and then put some mascara on my eyelashing, making them make my eyes look three times bigger.

When I'm done getting ready, I trot down the stairs, pleased to see Carson sitting there. He holds a coffee in his hand and sets it across the breakfast table. I smile when I sit down across from him, grabbing the cup of coffee he prepared for me.

"Thank you," I say and then settle down beside him. I drop my backpack I carried from upstairs to the ground and move it to slouch against the white wood of the breakfast bar. Carson is grinning across from me, especially when I say he made my coffee just right. I ask Carson how Braylen is and he says he's really good.

"So how do you like Alex?"

"Alex is so cool! He is teaching me how to throw a football really far and how to do some moves!" Carson bursts in excitement. I smile at him. "I've always wanted to join the football team but didn't know how, so my mom would not let me. Mason also did not like sports so he never was really into them. But with Alex, I think I may have a shot at joining the team." Carson reveals. Inside, my stomach feels like it just took a punch for Mason. I feel like Carson just hinted to me that he would prefer Alex over Mason as a brother. I could be overreacting and get the wrong idea, but he literally just put Mason down.

"Yeah. Wait until you meet Morgan. She's an even better tackler than Alex when she wants something," I tell Carson, recalling how Morgan literally body slammed me one time as I ran away with her phone. I fell to the ground in less than a second, and Morgan was up, grinning triumphantly. Alex was so shocked all he could do was stare at her.

Carson's eyes widen. "Whose Morgan?"

"My other best friend," I tell him. "She's actually coming over soon," I take a sip of my coffee. Carson tells me about how well he is fitting into the new school because Braylen is super nice. I'm glad they are becoming such friends, because in high school for Carson next year, it would be hell without a friend. The only thing that got me through freshman year was Alex and Morgan. Especially on finals week. Oh, God.

Carson and I talk for awhile until I realize that my mom and David are late getting up, so is Mason. So I check the time one more time and tell Carson I'm going to check on them. When I sneak into my mom's room, her bright blue walls instantly shine in my eyes, making me wince. I creep toward the bed and lean over them. They stayed up late last night (again), which is probably why they are sleeping in. So I poke my mom gently in the cheek and crouch down on my knees. My mom barely opens her eyes, but when she does, she smiles at me.