Ch. 24

My eyes snap open the second I smell pancakes and bacon

My eyes snap open the second I smell pancakes and bacon. Rolling out of my bed, I grab a random shirt from my closet and some old shorts. I finish getting my shorts on when I stand in the bathroom and look at myself in the mirror. My eyes stare back at me, making me realize how tired I look. My eyes are sunken in and my jaw bone looks very fragile because of all the work I did. My shoulders are covered in the sweatshirt and my whole entire mid-stomach area is covered for the sake of my parents never find out about the hickeys that rest there. Luckily, Mason was smart and placed them only on my mid-section. I groan and rub my face with my hands.

    Then I realize how sore my arms are. It hurts reaching across the sink to grab my toothbrush, and even more when I grab the toothpaste from the cabinet. I sigh as I place them down and wiggle my arms before rubbing my stomach. Suddenly, the door bounces open and the culprit for making me so sore walks in with a small smile on his face.

    When he sees me, his smile shifts to a grin and he shines his pearls at me. "Morning," he says, his voice low from just waking up. I smile at him and rub my face again.

    "I woke up earlier and you were gone," Mason continues and slides in, shutting the door after him. I move around the sink and brace my hands against the counter, smiling up at him.

    "I figured it was a little dangerous to remain nude in your bed," I giggle and look down, blushing. Mason laughs a little as well and comes close to me. His warmth is so hot against my skin that I shiver along my back. My eyebrows raise in concern as to why he is so hot, but then I realize he is just really sweaty still. Maybe because he was sleeping his bed so long. It is about ten a.m. and we went to bed a little early last night. Around ten.

    "Good idea," Mason mumbles before landing a kiss on my cheek. "Anyway, I'm going to shower."

    "Okay. I'm going to brush my teeth," I say, twirling around and looking at Mason in the mirror for a second. He meets my eyes and sends me his secret smile before taking off his shirt. I have to look into the sink as he undresses and launches into the shower. I stare at my reflection to stop my eyes from moving over to the shadow moving in the tub. When I finish brushing my teeth, I go to move out of the bathroom but Mason speaks up.

    "Hey Ken," he pauses for me to stop moving. "Wanna hand me that soap?" He points to a bar of soap on the counter. I turn around and place my hands on my hips, seeing his face peeking around the white curtain and a smirk on his face as he stares at me with his dark eyes.

    "Get it yourself?"

    "Why?" Masons eyes light up.

    "Because I'm going to eat."

    "Come on, just hand me it," he smiles now and moves around. The curtain falls for a second. Mason lets out a slow 'oops' and fixes it before looking over to gauge my reaction. I just roll my eyes and grab the soap. I walk it over to the shower, holding it out for Mason. He takes it out of my hand, warm water falling onto my hand in droplets. I go to pull back, but he drops the soap into the tub and grabs my hand with his other hand. I force myself to stop smiling as I look at him.

    "Mason, what are you doing?" I say, unable to stop my smile anymore. He laughs as he wraps his arms around me, not caring if he gets me wet. I laugh as he hugs me to him, the curtain the only thing separating us. "Mason!" I say in excitement and push him away. He laughs as I go in front of the mirror and look myself over. I have hand marks on my shirt from his wet hands and droplets running down my arms.

    "Oh looks like you need a new shirt," Mason points out the obvious. I look at him with a small smile and grab a hairbrush, holding it above my head, ready to throw it at him. Mason laughs as he pulls back the curtain back, leaving me alone.

    "I hate you," I say as I open to door to walk out.

    "No, you don't!" Mason calls after me as he giggles like a girl. I roll my eyes and walk to my room, running slightly when Carson's door opens. I run right to my closet and slip on another random shirt before walking out of my room just as Mason opens the bathroom door. He looks right down the hall at me, grins and then turns to his room. I look down at the floor as I shuffle down the stairs, taking place beside Carson. He looks over at me and grins up at me. Mom places a plate in front of me along with a good morning. David comes by a second later and then places some food on my plate. I take the stuff he's offered me and shove a pancake piece in my mouth. Mason comes down a few minutes later, sporting some sweatpants and a loose wife beater. I stare at his wet hair for a moment before looking over to Carson and waving at his food.    

    "What did you have so far?"

    Carson looks me dead in my eyes and speaks. "Sausage." Then he winks. My eyebrows raise to the heavens and I look around with a sense of alarm. What the hell? Why did he wink? Why did he say sausage like that? Does he know I had his brother's sausage last night? Oh my god. No. Wait. That's impossible.

    Instead of lingering in my thoughts, I take my fork and shove some more food in my mouth, never letting my eyes stray far from my plate. Mason sits down beside me and touches my foot with his now socked feet. I kick his feet back and scowl at him as if saying "not at the table." He just shakes his head and takes a sip of the orange juice already set for him. Moments later, mom sets a plate in front of him as David sets some sausage down on a plate with paper towels covering them. Mason reaches across the table and grabs a single one, putting on his plate and then winking at me. Carson laughs as soon as he does it and winks over at me again. What the hell is going on?

    Suddenly, David and mom sit down across from me and slide some sausage onto their plate. David does his thing where he wraps his sausage in his pancake and then eats it like a corndog. I just look down helplessly at my pancake, feeling utter horror as Mason slides a sausage off the table and pokes it against my thigh.

    I just look at him like he is insane and push my chair out. Maybe I can't do this. I can't take the innuendos anymore, especially since I have now seen all of Mason. I have no idea how I am going to handle this, but for the time being, I really, really enjoy it. Frankly, I don't really want it to end.

    So instead of walking up the stairs like a freaked out person, or being a sissy, I push my chair back in with my feet, grab a sausage, and shove it in my mouth. For some reason, I feel like I just finished the hike up a mountain. As if I just crawled over one of my fears. I don't know really why or how sausages helped me figure this out, but all I know is that I think I love Mason.

    Maybe.

    Haha! Funny joke, I think to myself. I've barely dated him for a month. I think. I don't think I even ever felt this feeling before but I never want it to stop. So, I take a deep breath and launch into a conversation with my parents, ignoring the feeling I am hiding something from them.

~*~