Ch. 16

It's been literally two weeks since the party and everything happened

It's been literally two weeks since the party and everything happened. My friends are more attentive to me than they ever have been, and I've been growing closer to Jake since then. It's kind of a bitchy move, but I feel like I want to make Mason jealous. It's obvious our feelings about each other are mutual. If I get Mason jealous, he may actually talk to me instead of giving me fake smiles when our parents are around and slamming the door to his room everytime he gets home, letting me know not to walk over there.

I feel like the only one in the house who realizes Mason is super distant, is Carson. He talks to me in the mornings and asks questions about Mason and I. He asks why we aren't talking and why Mason always curls his fists when he sees me.

Besides that fact, I am extremely done with Mason's behavior. He needs to face me like a man. Which sounds odd because I'm being a hypocrite, but he does. I want him to come to my room and hug me while telling me he's sorry. But I know it won't happen.

I'm sitting at home when I hear Masons Jeep pull up. Although I'm angry at him, my heart rate instantly spikes and I perk up in my bed. After Morgan fell asleep while video chatting me, I've just been laying in my bed staring at my ceiling. Now I have my chance. Mom and David took Carson to see a movie with Braylen, leaving me alone in the house with Mason. My plan to get Mason to talk to me by using Jake failed, so I came up with a new one.

I'm going to corner him. In his room. I wait for the front door to open and move over to my door to listen. Mason seems like he is trying to be stealthy because the only time I realize where he is, is when the creak before my door sounds. After that, I wait five minutes for Mason to move but realize he must've left when I crack my door open and look into the darkness. He snuck into his room. I sit on my floor as I peer out, down the hallway. I can be as quiet as him so he doesn't lock his door, keeping me out. I slide on some socks just to be safe and inch down the hallway feeling like Spiderman as I crawl. Its extra, but everything about Mason is extra.

When I stand in front of Mason's door, I have to breathe in and out silently as I look at it. I hear a show on and then twist the door handle slowly. Just as I am about to throw the door open, its pushed back closed.

"Kenna," Mason's voice sounds different from when I last talked to him. It's deeper, making my lower spine instantly tingle. "No."

"I'm not a dog, Mason. Let me in. We need to talk."

"No, we don't. We are doing fine ignoring each other."

"Not really. We are brother and sister and I am not living the rest of my life ignoring you and giving you fake smiles."

"I think you should," Mason says, sounding cocky. My eyebrows raise in surprise and I push my hands against the door to test my chances of pushing it open and facing Mason.

"I think I shouldn't. Mason, just open up. Please," I add the last part in, hoping it may work on letting him open the door. It doesn't. Mason just pull the lock over his door handle, resulting in me having no chance of breaking the door down. "Mason!" I shout.