Ch. 34

When I remember everything that happens, I don't believe it's real

When I remember everything that happens, I don't believe it's real. A long time has passed since I've actually talked to Mason. We've become somewhat...normal. I say hi to him, he says hey back. We drive to school together, with Carson, and even talk in school. He's moved back to my table but sits across from me instead of next to me. I don't feel like a lovesick puppy anymore.

    Actually, scratch that.

    A couple of days ago, I saw Mason shirtless and every emotion I thought I lost came back. I almost wanted to slam my head into a wall and hopefully get brain trauma. But, somehow, I was smart enough not to. Unlike me being smart in other places....like deciding to date my stepbrother.

    Jake and I broke up, around the time I was in the hospital. He said he really needed to take care of something with his family, and now we don't get to see each other much. He's at school, but I don't think he is mentally there. Because of things with his family, he said it may be better if we didn't see each other. I was okay with it, telling him to do whatever he needed to do with his family. He was thankful for it, and every once in awhile, I help him out with his studies.

    Overall, my life has been getting increasingly better. The saying goes 'the only place left to go after you hit rock bottom is up'. Something like that. Smirking at myself in the mirror, I almost twirl in happiness because of what today is.

    It's my eighteenth birthday.

    Wearing a cute yellow dress and sporting some cute velvet booties, I think that I look really good. My eyes finally got over the sunken in era, due to all of the sleeping I've done lately. Plus, I'm getting seafood tonight, and it's my absolute favorite. I'm going out with my family and probably going to get a buttload of money I can use to go shopping with Morgan. Or I can be responsible with it and possibly put it in a fund. Either Way, I'm excited about many different reasons.

    The major one being, after today, I will be an adult. I can finally be together with Mason formally. I don't have to hide it anymore. That is if he really wants to get back together with me.

~*~

    Unlike last time we celebrate a birthday, Mason sits on the other side of the table and I sit with my mom and Carson both on either side of me. I'm digging into a really good salmon, almost moaning each time I slide it in my mouth.

    Sometime after the food is gone, everyone has presents for me. Mom says that hers is in the car and asks to use my phone to use it as a flashlight because her present is hidden underneath a seat in the car and she needs to find it. I hand it to her, grinning. When she gets back, I grin at her and hold my hands out for my phone, only for her smile to fall.

    "Oh shoot. I left it in the car. I can go get it," my mom frowns. I shake my head, smiling.

    "It's okay mom. I'll get it after." I glimpse over at Mason to see him drinking some soda.    

    "Alright, dear. Here, open it." My mom hands me a small silver box. My mind runs through everything that it could be. "Open it," my mom urges as she gets back in the seat. I grin and slide it open to reveal a gorgeous bracelet. My mouth drops open and I look to my mom. She grins more and takes it from my hands to slide it on. I still stare at it, looking at it. There are charms of dog paws, stars, and other things that I love.

    "I love it mom, thank you." I grab her into a hug as she finishes.

    "I love you too. Now, open Davids," mom pulls back to grab a gift from David and slide it into her hand and over into mine. I open it, only to reveal more charms. I pull back from looking at it grinning and look at David.    

    "Did you go shopping with mom?"

    "Possibly," David says as he leans across the table with his elbows and sips from his drink. I laugh and look at them all. There are some with my birthstone and even ones in the shape of my zodiac sign, which is a Sagittarius. After Davids present, Carson hands over his.

    I look at it for a short moment, then look over at Carson. "Do you have a thing with lips?" I ask him, holding up the sparkly lipgloss he got me. Mason laughs and Carson joins in. It feels good to hear Mason laugh.

    After everything is settled, mom makes sure to order dessert and jokes about telling them it's my birthday, because she knows I hate it when people sing to me. I say I'm going to grab my phone, and they all scoot over. I get out of the seat and walk down to the car. I open the door and see my phone is flashing on the floor. I grab it and put it in my pocket. I turn around and instantly get pinned against the car. My heart stops and I gasp until I look up and see the warm eyes of Mason Cross. Before I can stop it, a grin whips across my face.

    He leans down and rubs his lips against mine. "I've been waiting for this day," he says against my lips. I laugh and pull him closer.

    "Me too."

    "Yeah, but I've been waiting to kiss you. Over...and over."

    "Oh, stop," I giggle and push him back a little. Mason laughs as well and pulls me back to him.

    "Stop? We have just begun."

    I laugh at his lips once more, only stopping when I realize my family is inside.

    "Mason. Our family is going to wonder where we are."

    "Oh yeah, unfortunately." Mason grabs my hand and together we walk toward the restaurant. Only Mason stops, making me turn around. He laughs before pulling me back and gets in the car. He pulls me in and locks the door before landing his lips on mine again. I sigh against his warmth and slide my hands into his hair, missing him from all that time.

    "I've missed this," Mason says as if ready my thoughts. He moves his head down to kiss along my neck. I tilt it a little bit to the left and let my hands slide down to the small of his back. He pushes his body up against mine, rubbing everything against me and forces me closer to him as his lips find the edge of my shirt. He reaches up to pull one side down, making me stop and slap his hand away.

    "No," I scowl at him. He laughs before kissing my head and pulling me closer once more.

    "You want to know something crazy?"Mason says as we lay across the backseat. I perk an eyebrow at him, tilting my head a little bit to get a clear view. The moonlight shining through our window hits him just right, making his face almost impossible to see.

    "What is it?" I ask Mason, kissing his neck for a second. He kisses my cheek in return then lowers his lips against my ear.

    "I think that I love you." Suddenly, everything I thought I knew gets turned upside down. My future that I had painted out over the weeks gets washed away and distorted. Then everything changes and goes back to normal, only Mason is included in it. Everything goes back to normal, but I am grinning.

    So, I don't really know what I am thinking when I respond. "I think I love you too."

    Mason pulls away like I have burnt him. Only when I sit up and the moon hits his face, I grin back at him. He is grinning and looks like a kid on Christmas.

    "Really?"

    "Yes!" Suddenly, he is surging forward and wraps me up like a burrito. I laugh and let him kiss me all over the place before I freeze and remember reality. "Now, we need to get back inside." Mason groans but pulls away and opens the door for me.

    "After you," he almost bows in the darkness. I giggle and get out, stepping onto the ground. And for the first time in awhile, I believe it feels like real concrete.

~*~