Ch. 4

My plan to sneak out of the house for school without my mother catching me was weak

My plan to sneak out of the house for school without my mother catching me was weak. So when I hear my name called as my fingers brush the cool metal of the front door, I wince. My mom comes flying around the doorway with her hair in a tight ponytail, and her perfect smile in place.

    "Kenna! Where are you going?"

    "Um...school." My voice comes out more like a question. Only my mother rolls her eyes and grabs my arm at the elbow. I look at the door longingly.

    Mom pulls me into the kitchen where Carson looks too tired to speak, and Mason just looks bored with his arms crossed over his chest. David is speaking to them as he holds coffee, and I know they are getting the first day of school talk. I just kick at my feet while mom waits for David to be done.

    When David looks at her, I do as well.

    "I thought that Kenna could drive Mason to school today since they are in the same grade and go to the same school."

    "What?" Mason and I say at the same time. Mason perks up from where he is standing, his arms swinging to his side in surprise. Mason shakes his head.

    "No. I want to ride with Carson to school for today." My eyes narrowed into slits. Why does Mason hate me? I mean sure, I surely made him think I hate him due to the lack of my presence around him, but does he have to reciprocate them? I kind of hate being hated. But, then again, I don't entirely like him. I'm doing this to protect myself from liking him for more than a friend, it's just simply wrong.

     Actually, now that I think about it, Mason should hate me. It's a backup plan kind of.

    "Well, I see no point in just riding with Kenna. The more gas the more the money," David quips. Mason turns to his father with a stone look. I give him a look as well, but if David sees our faces, he doesn't mention it and pushes us toward one another. The black shirt Mason is wearing barely fits around his huge arms. I wonder how much Mason worked out at his mother's. Maybe every day. For a moment, my blonde arm hairs skim his and my breath pauses for the slightest moment. Its so small of a moment, that my breathing feels normal, but I know it happened.

    "Anyway," my mom sings, moving over to grasp Davids hand, ruffling Carson's hair as if he were her own son. The way Carson grins up at her makes me think he is a little younger than fourteen. And my mom was worried that they wouldn't like her. Well, I think Mason likes her. Not exactly positive.

    I mean, even I'm not feeling so tight with my mom right now. She's practically forcing me to bring a passenger with me to school. I can only guess she expects me to show him around like the good stepsister she thinks I am.

    Then again, I can be a good stepsister, and Mason and I can be wonderful siblings. That would make this whole equation a lot easier. But, no; I have to go and feel this stupid attraction for Mason. Enough of attraction to make my breath freaking pause. Way to go, Kenna, you are developing a crush on Mason. Your stepbrother! Even my subconscious is angry at the thought.