Ch. 10

Mason and I find Jake and Marc with their backs toward us and their fists pumping in the air as they shout in joy at a certain number

Mason and I find Jake and Marc with their backs toward us and their fists pumping in the air as they shout in joy at a certain number. When Mason spots them, he directs us through the crowd and says hi to them. They nod at him over the loudness as a bike zooms past us. The Mason grips my wrist and tugs me around him to reveal myself to Jake and Marc. When they see me, their faces light up. Jake sends me a grin and Marc waves hello before going to pay attention to the bikes. Mason turns his back to me to watch them cruise over hills. I'm surprised when a guy jumps a ramp and flies into the air. He has time to let his butt fly off the seat then connect back before touching the ground. Jake is whispering in my ear the next second, telling me about the tricky guy. He tells me his name is Logan something and he is probably the most skilled rider here at the moment. I nod to him, and act like I know everything about this sport.

People beside me cheer over the screaming of the motorbikes as they literally speed past me. In the corners, a group of particular rowdy fans gets sprayed with mud every time a bike goes past. Luckily, Marc and Jake chose a dryer part of the track.

I watch the thing for a little bit until it is over and someone's name is announced. Then someone says something and the only word I'm able to catch is "Kawasaki". I inch over to the gate, receiving a sneer at a woman I accidentally touch as she leans on the gate. I say I'm sorry, and she sends me a fake smile. I try not to touch any more people after that, even when some more bikes blast through the area after being released from a metal gate as it falls down. When the race deepens, I notice they aren't going as fast as before, and realize it's because of its children.

Mason must see my confusion because he slides next to me and puts his face next to my ear, so close that his chin brushes against my jaw as he speaks over the roar of the motors and cheers.

"There is classes for the bikes. Before was practice, this is the real thing," he tells me. I nod like I knew everything before with Jake, but I'm confused. I catch an announcer say something about the number 80 and realize that this might be the 80 class. Whatever that means.

Mason comes next to my ear later on and explains literally everything to me. He tells me about how these things are running, with something called a clutch. He tells me about the Logan guy and how he is kind of popular. He also tells me how many times these people go around the track before winning. Overall, I realize I should just stick with one number and cheer them on even though I have no idea who they are.

My eyes flick to a person wearing bright pink clothing that looks rather uncomfortable. They have pink ridges on their knuckles, where their hands from around the handlebars. I remember Mason telling me about something where someone pulls the gas thing too much and refuses to let go, which allows the bike to fly forward, which happens to this person in pink sometime later as they are going over to a hill. Their bike gets too far away from them and they land right on their butt. A hush falls through the crowd when the person doesn't instantly get up, but then they do and shake off their helmet with a small frown as someone in black and white rushes over to them. Someone else waves a flag before the hill where the person crashed, signaling an accident. All the other riders shift to the left side of the hill and keep to themselves as the pink rider gets back on. Everyone cheers her on as she starts up again.