Ch. 22

School is average besides the fact people are practically scavenging for dates to the formal

School is average besides the fact people are practically scavenging for dates to the formal. Girls all around make sure to smile extra warmly to any boy. Guys carry around posters, flowers, and even some dress up. I don't really know why. I mean, not even prom was this popular last year for the seniors. We are just having a formal. Morgan and Alex decided to skip today after Alex said he couldn't make it because Braylen was sick and Morgan simply didn't want to go. I, on the other hand, was perfectly fine with staying in this boring place. At least I have one friend, though.    

    Finally done with a boring as hell gym period, I plop down on the medical bed with Nathan sitting in his blue chair. I look around and notice he has changed around the room a little bit over the weekend.

    "You know the drill, Kenna," Nathan says beside me. I let out a little groan and roll over on the bed.

    "Can you hand me my things?"

    Nathan lets out a sigh, but nonetheless, gets off his blue chair and slides open a cabinet. He hands me my things and plops down back in his chair. I sit up and do my usual and then flip back over on the bed. Nathan looks at me from his chair, raising an eyebrow.

    "What now, Kenna?"

    "I'm tired as all hell," I grumble. I didn't get that much sleep last night, hence the reason I fell asleep in class earlier today.

    "Don't swear in school."

    "Fine," I say, my voice muffled in my arms. Nathan gets up from his chair and slides toward me. He grabs my stuff and puts them in his cabinet.

    "Can you imagine life--?" I start. Nathan turns around to look at me, his eyebrow raising.

    "What?"

    "Imagine life...without me?"

    "Oh my God. Kenna, you're just a student I help."

    "Really? That's all I mean to you?" I look up, making sure that Nathan knows I'm teasing. When he sees my eyes, he rolls his and walks back to his chair. He doesn't speak to me as I grab the Post-It note, looking down at it as I walk out.

    "Kenna, you are difficult."

    "I'll take that as a compliment," I shrug and walk more. Nathan shouts a little down the hall as me as I exit his office.

    "Don't!"

    A smile lights up my face as I walk into the office. As I walk through the hall, the bell rings, letting me know I got out of Nathans office a little earlier. People scurry to their next classes, now late. I walk slowly down the hall, my teacher already knowing I am late to class every day. I just have to have the Post-it. Looking down, I see the green little paper and smile. That's when I see a familiar head of hair and back. Checking the time, I start jogging forward to reach Jake.

    "Hey, Jake!" I catch up to him and come to Jake's side. Jake sends me a happy smile as a greeting and waves.

    "Hey, Ken!"

    "Hi, Jake. Where are you going?"

    "To find Mason."

    "Mason?" I question, raising my eyebrow. "Why?"

    "Gwen Hamilton wants him for something. Do you know where he is?"

    "Um yeah. Where are you supposed to be right now?" I question. Jake glances around before looking at me with his bright blue eyes.

    "Study hall."

    Together, Jake and I discuss what Gwen possibly wants since he said she was in study hall as well. I just follow Jake, leading him to where Mason is. When we get to the door, we look through it. Luckily, the class is working on papers at their desk and the teacher is just scanning through his computer, unable to see us. I smile as soon as I see Mason scribbling something down on his sheet. His shirt hugs his body, and the jeans he bought just the other day look amazing on him. When Mason moves to stretch out his back, Jake and I make sure to perk up and wave toward him. Masons eyes flick toward us, and then a small grin lights up his face when he sees me. Then switch over to jake. His eyebrows raise as he gets up and walks to the desk. The teacher looks up as Mason asks to use the bathroom. The teacher nods and goes back to work. Mason walks out into the hall, his eyebrows still high.

    "Hey Ken, hey Jake," he says when we are a reasonable distance away from his classroom. Mason sends me a small smile over Jake's shoulder, making me look away blushing. Jake grabs Mason's shoulder and pulls him down to his level. Since Mason is kind of taller than Jake.

    Jake whispers something in Masons eat before laughing. Mason looks up with wide eyes, not laughing. I send him a concerned look but he just looks away with wide eyes. Mason runs a hand through his dark hair, something he does when he is nervous. That makes me nervous as I walk down the hall with them, all traces of me being tired vanishes when I remember Jake said he was finding Mason for Gwen Hamilton.

~*~

    Gwen doesn't just look perfect, but super angelic as well. She wears white shorts and a cute floral yellow shirt with her hair perfectly curled around her face. Her eyelashes look like spider legs, long and narrow. Her eyes are also shining in the light of the study hall cafeteria light, and her earrings sparkle in the lighting. Because she has a natural tan, she already stands out in the room. I shrink backward as Jake slows to a stop and Mason keeps walking. I don't know exactly what is happening, but Mason walks right over to Gwen's table she is sat at and sends her a grin. Gwen lights up instantly and jumps off her seat. I look over at Jake. He catches me looking at him and leans down toward me since I am shorter than him.

    "I think she is asking him to the fall formal."

    "What?" I pull back, my eyes huge. Jake nods and smiles.

    "I feel like I should congratulate him," Jake whispers.

    I feel like I should murder him if he says yes.

    I shake my thoughts off and instead walk closer to them. Gwen notices me and sends me a small little wave before turning back to Mason. She then leans forward and makes sure to kiss his cheek. Everyone turns to look at her as she lingers around his ear. Then I see her jaw moving as she stays on her tippy-toes, whispering into Mason's ear. When Gwen pulls away, Mason looks at me instantly, his eyes looking like saucers. Then he turns back to Gwen and says something to her.

    "I'll think about it," Mason says slowly. Then he turns around, leaving Gwen looking like a sad puppy as Mason walks toward me and grabs my hand before leading Jake and me out of the cafeteria.

~*~

    After long hours, I finally walk into my room sighing as I plop down on my bed. I close my eyes, literally about to fall asleep. That's when my door bounces open and Mason walks in. He crashes down on the bed beside me and pulls my body toward him in a hug. We have a few minutes alone since my mom is at work and David is picking up Carson from school.

    "What happened today?" I ask in Mason's chest. Mason shrugs against me as I sniff him. Literally. I make sure my nose is pressed against his shirt before inhaling deeply.

    Mason says, "Gwen asked me to the fall formal."

    My stomach drops, realizing Jake was right. I mean, I've been thinking about it the whole day. It seems right that Mason goes with someone other than me to the formal, but I would like him to go as a friend with my friends and I. Not with a girl who is sure to seduce him in the night. Let alone, be allowed to date him in public.

~*~