Ch. 9

Alex speaks to me through the phone enthusiastically about how he was offered a scholarship for a school

Alex speaks to me through the phone enthusiastically about how he was offered a scholarship for a school. I listen as I stare outside my back porch sliding door, blankly. The trees sway in the late afternoon. The house is quiet since the only one here is Mason, who I believe is asleep. Carson is hanging out with Braylen at the mall, and my parents are at work. Since Morgan is busy talking to her father about something, and Alex is watching over his brother at the mall, I have no one to hang out with. I can go with Alex to the mall and watch of Braylen and Carson as they shop, but I want to give him some space. Carson and I have talked in the mornings a lot more, and from what it seems, he needs a little bit more space. I figured now is when he'll want it.

"Oh crap! I got to go! Braylen and Carson look like they are about to talk to girls."

"Run," I growl into the phone. I do not want Carson dating yet. I've taken up being a big sister to Carson, much like Mason, and I expected I wouldn't care if he talked to girls, but hearing this I feel like rage boils beneath my skin. "Stop them." Alex is probably nodding into the phone because in the next second his line is dead. I put my phone down laughing.

"What are you laughing at?" Hearing Masons voice behind me, I pause in laughing. I swivel the breakfast bar stool I'm sat on, and turn to see him. He wears a bright red flannel with a white wife beater underneath it. Some faded blue jeans cover his legs, and I gasp. This is the most color I've seen him wear. Ever.

Somehow, he's curled his hair so it brushes over his eyebrow, and his eyes look the lightest color brown. Overall, the new look makes my heart beat faster. It's so different from his bad boy structure I can barely stop the grin slipping over my face.

Mason must see this, because he looks down at himself, and touches his flannel to his chest, making his tank top tighten around his abs. The minimal sunlight running through the living room slides through his dark hair, making it a light color.

"Uh," I have to force my words out. "Alex. Something he said."

"Alex?"

"You remember him? He's my best friend?" I question and rise off the seat. Glancing at the time, I see its seven in the evening. "Are you going to a party?"

"No," Mason says and brushes past me to go to the fridge. He pulls out a water bottle and offers me one. I take it, and he tosses it across the room for me. He pulls out an apple as well and then decides to put it back. "Parties aren't my style."

"Where are you going then?" I question.

Mason doesn't respond to me immediately. He slowly closes the fridge door and looks me over. "Get ready and I'll take you."

Something slithers inside of my stomach in the excitement of going with Mason somewhere other than school. "Okay!" I perk up to be rock straight. "What should I wear?"

"Something you can risk getting dirty."

My eyes lower, but then I brighten when I remember I have some old jeans with rips in them. "Alright."