Ch. 2

My mother is perched on the couch's armrest when I get home, throwing my backpack on the dining room chair and plopping down on the couch next to her

My mother is perched on the couch's armrest when I get home, throwing my backpack on the dining room chair and plopping down on the couch next to her. She is watching something on the news, then she turns to me with a smile much like my own. Her blond hair is curling over her shoulders that are covered with a red flannel.

"Hey, sweetie! I thought that you and Alex were hanging out tonight."

"He had practice, and I saw no reason to go over to his house when I had to be home soon anyway," I sigh. Mom looks at me shortly, then falls off the armrest and places her head on my lap.

"Are you nervous?"

"About meeting my future brothers?"

"Yup." My mom grins reassuringly and brushes my cheek. If I felt nervous like this for meeting my brothers, who honestly don't even need to like me, I can only imagine how my mom feels. She's going to be the 'replacement' mom for them. I don't even fully know how they are, neither does my mom. In David's time being with us, he barely brought up his sons. An occasional photo here and there for them, talk of what accomplishment one did, and even some advice on how to talk to his kids, is all I got. I remember one time David came flying into my room with his phone in his hand, ringing. He asked me what to do about his son, Mason, who was telling him about a girl he liked. I instantly got down to business with David and told him what I would personally like. Sadly though, it turns out the girl Mason liked just didn't feel that way for him. Although, I would personally love it for any boy to be my hero. I told David that he should just simply be there for the girl, if she needs help, go to her. That and to take her thoughts into consideration for himself, and seriously pay attention to her.

"I'm nervous too. I'm sort of dreading David coming into that door with the two boys," my mom sighs. I shrug above her and brush back her hair with a small smile.

"It's okay. They'll love you, mom. I do." My mom grins up at me and then brushes my hair behind my pierced ear.

"I love you too sweetie," my mom moves her body so she is sitting beside me and then stares me down with her green eyes as if she is trying to put me together. "Are you sure your okay with David's children moving in?" Her eyes are wary. Although we have been over this when David was moving in, and even when he asked my mom to marry him, my mom always asks me if I'm okay with what is happening. She wants me to feel comfortable in my own home, same with David. I have no doubt that David will try to make me comfortable in any way. David loves me enough to understand.

"I'm totally okay with it. I'm just scared and excited to meet them," I tell her honestly. She nods, understanding then sits up.

"Anyway, David left about fifteen minutes ago to drive to the airport. So that gives us about...thirty minutes to prep."

I stare at my mom for a moment but then look around the house. Everything seems to send me a cheesy sparkle shown in toothpaste commercials. No pots or pans are in the dish strainer, the shoes that are usually just left by the door, are organized, except mine. The blankets are folded neatly and in the basket, and the TV remotes are lined up smallest to largest.