Ch. 35

I can't believe I am doing this, but Mason said that we needed to do this

I can't believe I am doing this, but Mason said that we needed to do this. In order to be together, we need to tell our parents. Mason said he would take his dad, and I take my mom. I agreed. So now I am sat with my mom downstairs while Mason sits with his dad up in his room. My mom waits patiently for me to tell her what I've wanted to say. She sits on the couch corner, looking at me with her arms crossed.

    "Yes? Kenna?"

    "Well--" I stop, wondering how I should come out with this, finally deciding to just say it all at once. "I'm dating Mason."

    I brace for the scream, but it never comes. When I open my eyes, my mom is just chewing on her lip, nodding her head slowly.

    "Uhuh," she hums. I watch her carefully. "Yeah. I figured. You guys should really cover up more."

    "What?" I ask, confusion in my voice. How could she know?

    "That day I found you guys in bed? Yeah. You guys are idiots. But cute. Who else knows?"

    "Um. Morgan. But that's it. We are telling everyone today," I say slowly. My mom grins.

    "The day after you become an adult," she pieces it together, nodding slowly. I nod along with her, smiling.

    "Yeah. So, are you okay with all of this?" My mom looks like she is debating it, but stops.

    "Yeah. I mean, if I dealt with it this long. Why not for longer?"

    "Really?" I place my hands on both sides of the chair, perking up. My mom nods while grinning.

    "Yeah. Not so sure about David though," my mom shrugs. I rush forward to hug her, laughing in her ear. This moment reminds me of when I had to thank Mason for saving my life.

    "Thanks mom. You have no idea how happy this makes me."

    My mom just pats my back as she laughs. I'm sure everyone else won't be this easy. Mom and I wait beside each other, mumbling about stupid things as we wait for the door upstairs to open. Mason walks down first, his face looking like he doesn't want any more of it. Only when David comes down after him, I wonder why. David is grinning at me.

    "I don't know if I should congratulate you, or be angry at you for keeping this a secret," David says as he comes toward me. He wraps me in a hug, holding me close. I look at Mason confused. He shakes his head looking at the ground.

    "You're okay with it too?" I ask, pulling back. David smiles and nods.

    "Totally." Then David turns to my mom and motions to the room. I watch as they walk away and join Mason.

    "What happened?"

    Mason sucks in a breath and shrugs. "He screamed. Asked questions. Screamed again, and then surprisingly went understanding."

    "Oh." I scrunch my eyebrows together."Well, it's good he understands."

    "Yeah," Mason wraps an arm around my shoulder at the exact time my parents come around the corner to look at us. Their faces look shocked and they go back to the kitchen. "They just need to get used to it," Mason says down to me.

    "Now we need Carson," I tell Mason. He sighs and says we should handle him together. So we walk up the stairs and into Carson's room. He swirls around in his gaming chair, grinning, but his grin slightly lessens when he sees Mason and I's hands interlocked. Carson wears a headset and speaks into it when he sees us.

    "I got to go." Carson unplugs his mic, letting the voices of his friends come through the TV until he turns it off. "Are you guys finally going to go public?" Carson asks. Mason and I share a look, then look at him.

    "How did you--"

    "Come on guys. How did you not figure out I knew?"

    "For the record, I had thought about it," Mason says, letting go of me and ruffling his brothers head of hair.

    "I only gave you guys two big hints I knew. Lip stuff. So you guys could kiss and it would be nice." Carson laughs. Mason turns to look at me, his eyebrow cocked. I scoff and grin at Carson.

    "The chapstick?"

    "And lipgloss," Carson adds. I shake my head but grin and run toward him to hug him.

    "You are clever in a weird way," I tell Carson. He just laughs up at me.

    After everything is done with my family, Mason and I move back into my room. He grins at me and picks me up to twirl me around. "We did it!" He cheers. I laugh and look down, framing his face with my hands before I place my lips on his.

    "Now," Mason says when I pull back and he sets me on the floor. "Time for me to show you my present." Mason reminds me of the fact he never gave me my present.

    "My birthday was yesterday," I giggle as he brushes my hair behind my ear.

    "Ah," Mason just shrugs. "I guess it's your belated birthday present."

~*~