Ch. 26

I sit in my room, glaring right at my door

I sit in my room, glaring right at my door. How dare Mason be mad at me when I was okay with him going with Gwen? But now? Not so much. If he actually goes with Gwen, that's the end of us. Rolling over on my bed, I groan and rub at my temples. I can't believe this just happened. How am I ever going to face him again? This was all so stupid, I never should've fallen for him and I should've never let him fall for me. We were doomed from the start. I glare up at my ceiling and then roll over before growling and grab my earbuds. Music always helps me calm down, especially if John Taylor is involved with Duran Duran. I can always smile when I think of him.

    I slowly start to play a song and then relax as the music enters my ears. But then I hear one lyric, it makes me sit up with a shocking realization. If he goes with Gwen, I'll go with Jake. It feels wrong to use Jake for this reason, but maybe Jake and I will be really happy and Mason and I can forget anything about us. Without thinking, I grab my phone and stop my song before unplugging my earbuds and sliding my phone up to my ear. Three seconds after my phone starts ringing, Jake picks up.

    "Kenna?" He asks. It is loud wherever he is.

    "Hi, Jake. Whats up?"

    "Um, nothing really. Just hanging around at home."

    "Great. So, I have to ask you something. Do you want to meet me somewhere?" I ask over the phone, sliding out of my bed and grab some clothes from my closet. Jake replies a second later, sounding a little excited.

    "Sure. How about Sarah's in ten?" He speaks of the little bakery in our town. I nod over the phone while saying yeah. We hang up and then I get ready. I slide on a small dress with some cute shoes before walking out the door. I walk out and cast a look down Mason's hall before shaking my head and pounding down the stairs to make sure he hears me. I walk past my mom who sends me a questioning look. I just shake my head in a form of telling her no and walk out the door, slamming it so Mason knows I am leaving, once again. I start my car and pull out before turning right on the street corner and drive into town.

    A couple of minutes later, I arrive at Sarah's and park my car before walking in. As soon as I walk in, the smell of delicious treats makes me sigh. I spot Jake as soon as I smell the treats and send him a grin before walking over to him with his blond hair. I sit across from him and he sits up.

    "Hey, Ken," he grins.

    "Hi, Jake." I take a big sigh and look at a worker, who asks me if I need anything. I shake my head no and look to Jake, to see if he needs anything but then I see that he has a biscuit in front of him. "So," I start off when the girl leaves. Jake perks up and smiles while taking I bite out of his biscuit. I almost feel bad for what I'm about to do, but shake it off. I actually want to go with Jake. We are really good friends and he's a really nice guy. "I was wondering if you wanted to go to the fall formal with me," I say as I lock and unlock my hands together on the table.

    Jake stares at me for a solid minute before a smile runs across his face and he looks down with a blush coating his face.

    "Yes. Totally, Ken. What color should I get?" Jake leans forward a little bit, a grin reaching for his ears.

    "Get blue," I smirk at him and then take a bit of his biscuit.

~*~   

    "Wait, so you're going with Jake now?" Morgan says, confusion audible in her tone. She lays on Alex's bed, her feet hanging on one side and her hands on the other. Her head of hair is sloping down the side of the bed while I sit beside her, picking out a string in Alex's comforter.

    "Yeah." Morgans eyes narrow and she stares at the ceiling for a moment before shaking her head and then rolling over.

    She glances at the door really fast to make sure that Alex isn't back from getting us bottles of water downstairs. Carson is also down the hall, hanging out with Braylen.

    "What about Mason?" She whispers. I shrug and lean back while groaning.

    "We are done. I think. I don't know." Morgans eyes dim and she places a hand on my knee.

    "I'm sorry, Ken," she says sincerely and then shakes my knee. "It's not my fault it is?"

    I take a moment to look at her, and then pause. She did slip to Mason. Which caused us to fight. I feel like I should scream at her, but she's my best friend and she'll always be here for me. So I don't and instead hug her while laughing.

    "No way," I laugh. "It was bound to happen. I'm just worried how we are going to face each other again," I reveal. I really am scared as to how I will live in the house with my ex-boyfriend snooping around because he also lives there.

    "Alright. Because I'm here for you, you know."

    "I know."

    "I can grab ice cream like they do in books," she says and then grins as she backs up. I laugh and shake my head.

    "No. I think we should just watch some movies."

    "Movies?" Alex comes in with three glasses of water, accompanied by his infamous Alex grin. "I'll watch a movie. What are you feeling, guys?" Alex prances over to his movie case, where some of my movies lay. His room is a dark color, the only sun shining through his curtains.

    "A lot of murder and broken hearts," Morgan says. I send her a look and she laughs while Alex looks at the movies.

"That's pretty specific," Alex mumbles but then grabs one out and flashes it toward us for an okay. I roll my eyes at it, but Morgan grins.

"Fast and the Furious? Really?" I look at Alex. He laughs.

"It has murder. And broken hearts," he shrugs innocently. I just laugh and sit back on his bed.

~*~