Ch. 14

I stare at Mason as he slips past people to go and sit at Marc and Jake's original table

I stare at Mason as he slips past people to go and sit at Marc and Jake's original table. I wonder if Mason can feel me staring at him, extremely angry. He's now ignored me for almost a week and it's driving me insane. If I try to approach him, he either slams the door in my face or walks away without listening. I'm so sick of it, and I don't even know what I did to deserve the silent treatment. Whatever it is, I'm not going to put up with it much longer.

Mason must sense the anger coming off me because he turns around with his lunch tray in hand and looks right at me. When he sees me already looking at him, his eyes widen and he turns around while plopping down with Jake. My eyes instantly narrow in anger.

Morgan face suddenly appears in my vision, a grin on her face. "Hey, bestie!"

I grin at her, forgetting Mason instantly. "'Sup?"

"Nothing really. Boring classes, disgusting lunch, Alex being dumb," Morgan shrugs. "How about you?"

"Same. Except Mason is being a dick."

"Wasn't he always a dick?" Morgan questions, raising her eyebrow. I shake my head no and look past her shoulder to Mason's strong back.

"Not always, but most times. Yeah," I correct. Morgan rolls her eyes and flicks her hair over her shoulder as she looks where I'm looking. When she turns back, I look at her. It's odd not seeing her violet eyes anymore. She'd got so used to putting in her violet contacts that sometimes I forgot they were just contacts. Her hair is in a high ponytail and she wears a purple sweater that hangs of her shoulder. Her wrist is literally covered in bracelets and her hand is covered in drawings that Alex probably drew on her.

"What's wrong with him now?"

"He's still ignoring me," I tell her. Morgan chews on her lip and shakes her head.

"Stupid. What's he like at home?"

"When I try to talk to him, he ignores me. He even started driving Carson to school, making me have to drive alone so I'm not late."

"That is odd," Morgan ruffles her hair, scratching her neck. "And you don't know what you did wrong?"

"Nope. Not at all. We went out together and then when we got home he went all weird and distant."

"He probably got a boner."

"What?"

"I don't know. I'm kidding," Morgan grins. I send her a questioning look. She just smiles mischievously and shakes her head. "You'll figure it out later," Morgan sighs.

"No, explain it to me."

"A boner. It's when some guys blood--"

"No, not that," I say with my eyes wide. Morgan laughs.

"Mason. He probably got a boner."

"From what?" Morgan stares at me for a moment, and then her eyes sparkle. I narrow my eyes in confusion, but then almost gasp when I get what she means. "Ugh! You're disgusting Morgan! He's my stepbrother." The thought of Mason getting a boner off of me is completely insane, not to mention, gross. Not that I haven't had some dreams about him. Whatever it is, Mason is not attracted to me like I'm attracted to him. Why else would he be ignoring me? If he liked me, he wouldn't ignore me, right?

"Anyway, where is Alex?" I ask and look around. Normally, he appears with his silly grin by now. Morgan shrugs and looks around as well.

"Uh. I don't know. He was behind me. Anyway, there is a party tomorrow and I want to go, and you should come."

"A party?" I raise my eyebrows. It's odd that Morgan is asking me to go to the party. I never go to parties. The only parties I go to are the parties with my mom for birthdays or family get-togethers. I've never actually been to a real party. Like a high school party where illegal drinking takes place and people have special rooms to do nasty things. "Who asked you?"

Unlike me, Morgan is almost always getting asked to go to parties. She grins at me when she says the next thing, making me raise my eyebrows again. "Jake." This time, my eyebrows don't go up. I know very well Jake is the partying type. Morgans eyebrows raise instead, bouncing three times.

"Why are you raising your eyebrows like that?" I ask and take a bite of food.

"Because he asked me to ask you come."

"And? He's my friend."

"I don't think he thinks of you as a friend." As Morgan says this, I look over her shoulder, past Mason, to where Jake laughs with Marc about something. His blue eyes shine in the cafeterias sunshine. His blond hair bounces as he nods his head furiously at something and laughs again. I smile looking at him and look over at Morgan.

"Are you sure?"

"Almost positive."

"Well, that's...wonderful." I smile like an idiot and look at Jake for another moment. I wonder if I get together with Jake, I'll forget Mason. I mean, it's a pretty crappy thing to do, but it's better than wishing I could kiss my stepbrother every day. So, when I turn to Morgan with determination and she just gives me a look, I let the words tumble out without realizing what I'm doing.

"I'll go to the party."

Morgan looks at me, for once, at a loss for words. It's Alex who surprises me as he comes up behind me.

"A party? What? Am I dreaming? Ken, you're going to a party?" Alex asks a series of questions, making me just look at him while Morgan is still silent.

"Uh, yeah. I'm going to a party."

"My Ken is going to a party? Oh my God! Hell has frozen over!" Alex plops down beside us, making Morgan somehow burst out laughing. Alex and I both look at her, confused.

"Hell has frozen over!" Morgan shouts as she laughs, gaining the attention of a few people. Alex and I look at each other really fast, then burst out laughing ourselves.

~*~