Ch. 15

Morgan practically skips ahead of me toward a beautiful house

Morgan practically skips ahead of me toward a beautiful house. It's got green bushes out front, surrounding the land, and dark shutters around the big windows. A paved path goes up to the front door, where people sit on the steps talking. Some laugh and one girl drinks a huge gulp of something from a clear cup. Morgan walks forward and jumps up the steps. Alex walks with a skip in his step as well but remains by my side. Unlike Morgan, I didn't really dress up. She's wearing a cute, red dress, and I'm wearing jeans with a T-Shirt I found on the floor of my closet. It was Morgan approved so I wore it.

"So, what should I expect?" I ask Alex as we walk up the steps. Morgan is already in the house, forgetting us out of her excitement.

"Nothing really. Parties are pretty boring. They aren't at all like movie movies."

"So no drinking?" I ask him. Alex shakes his head, and to prove his point, turns to a girl who looks somewhat familiar.

"Hey, what are you drinking?" The girl glances at Alex and instantly puffs out her chest. Disgusting. I look away, not really interested in seeing my best friend be seduced.

"Punch. Why? Do you want some?"

"Nope," Alex pops the p and turns to me with his Alex grin. "See?" I nod my head and we walk in together. Some low music plays in the corner from a speaker and people just talk and sip their drinks. People are swaying their hips together and laughing, but they aren't grinding. That's a good thing.

"I'm going to go find Morgan. Remember, if you get a drink, do not leave it anywhere."

"Got it," I nod at him. He sends me another warm smile and slips away from me. I look around, trying to find Jake. I search for a familiar blond head, but only make eye contact with yellow eyes. A guy stands against a wall, looking right at me. He sends me a testy smile, and I send him one back before looking around again. I start to walk through the kitchen, stopping to grab a pop out of a cooler and rip the top open. I take a refreshing drink, and put my chin down to see the guy with yellow eyes in front of me, smiling.

"Hi, my name is Carson."

"Carson? I have a brother with that name," I grin. The guy smiles back.

"Really?"

"Yeah!" I say and take another sip of my pop. "My name is Kenna."

"Nice to meet you, Kenna," he smiles. He smiles a lot. Soon enough, we start talking about stupid things as I scan the crowd every second for Jake. I don't see him until I see a flash of blond and some ice blue eyes. My heart leaps in my chest as I'm about to shout at Jake, but Carson to the right of me must see what I'm doing because he grabs my wrist. My smile instantly fades and I drop my drink into the super white carpet. My heart wrenches at the sight and I almost start scrambling to find cleaning supplies, but Carson holds my wrist in his hand still. I look at him and stare him down.