Ch. 5

Gripping Mason's hard shoulder, I send him a smile and ask him to walk with me

Gripping Mason's hard shoulder, I send him a smile and ask him to walk with me. Mason glances at me, then back to his friends, and then nods. I stand up, thankful he is cooperating, and lead him into the lunch line. Morgan and Alex watch us disappear slowly, looking grim as their eyes flicker over to the bad boys eating their own food. I shiver and look right at Mason.

"What are you doing?" I ask him, narrowing my hazel eyes. He narrows his black ones back, not even looking like he is totally offended.

"What do you mean?"

"I thought you were going to stay away from the people like this in our school."

"People like this?" A tone in Mason's voice makes me think very carefully about my next words.

"Bad people." Mason just gives me a look and then turns to glance behind him.

"They aren't bad people Kenna."

"Sure they are, they are the bad boys of the school. The boys who do drugs, skip, and use a woman like they are garbage and replaceable." Mason sends me another look. It feels weird to be on this side of his glare. I know that he glares at a lot of people, but I can't remember a time when he gave anyone this glare. It's so harsh as his eyebrows pinch together, missing the pin that slides across his eyebrow due to David making him take it out for school. His black eyes seem to hostile right now, I can't fathom any words to make up for what I said, but Mason seems to hate me in terrible measures right now. "I thought you were going to avoid them. Hence the reason you called me last night and asked me specific people."

"You never once mention Jake, Marc, or Lance." I shut my mouth at that. He is entirely correct. I never did say they did drugs. "So it's your fault for not warning me better. Besides..." Mason towers over me for a moment, his eyes burning. "You shouldn't believe everything you hear."

"What?"

"Check to see what are rumors before truly judging someone," Mason hisses. I step back, crossing my arms in defense.

"What do you mean, Mason?" I try my best t make my face as intimidating as his.

"Marc's father died from an overdose," he says it like it fixes everything; and it does. I stop talking as Mason moves his body and walks toward my table again. When Morgan and Alex realize I am not with him, they look over at me. I nod to reassure them, check the clock, and march toward the cafeteria doors.

~*~

"Why are you here?" Nathan smiles at me as I lean against his desk, looking at someone who looks as sick as a dog. "I already saw you today."

"I know. But I need to talk to you." I say slowly. Deciding to come to Nathan for the support I need was a bad idea, I know that. But I don't want to go to anyone else. Morgan may overreact and do something stupid, and Alex just won't understand. He isn't the brightest. Nathan will be calm and understanding. It's what I need right now.