Chapter 2: Mate

Lily's POV

Someone stomps on my ribs. I hear a crack or two and a sharp pain jolts through my body. But that's OK. Pain is no stranger to me. Pain visits me every hour, every minute, every second of every day.

"Get up sl*t. Alpha Tanner has requested you out in front of the pack house," the guard says.

I don't move from my position on the floor. Why can't they just let me stay there? Just for one day? Don't I deserve a break after fourteen years of this? No. I'm useless, a waste of space, a piece of trash no one wants to look at.

Tears are building in my eyes. I'm surprised I even have any to shed. I'm dehydrated and thirsty, having had nothing to drink or eat yesterday. This is a day where I get food and water. I wish I don't have to wait until 8pm to receive it.

A burning sensation hits my legs and moves up my body to my head. The guard is pouring scalding hot water on me. It stings my skin and soaks my poor excuse for clothes. I only get one pair of clothes every year, no matter what happens to them. I still don't move.

Impatient, the guard grabs my frail body and throws me over his shoulder. His shoulder digs painfully into my stomach, hurting my broken ribs. It's clear the guard is trying to put me in even more pain. He throws me outside to land in the dirt and another jolt of pain flys through my body. I give a small cry as I hit the ground.

Sighing, I try to get up only for my arms to give out and make me collapse on the ground again. The guard hauls me to my feet and gives me a sharp shove, making me stumble and nearly fall down again. I limp to the pack house to see Alpha Tanner, Luna Ricki and Beta George waiting outside.

Luna Ricki's hot pink hair stands out like a sore thumb among the natural green of the tree leaves. The Luna isn't a werewolf. She's a witch and she specializes in possession and causing pain in people's bodies.

"Finally. It's about time b*tch," Alpha Tanner says.

I look at the ground, scared, like usual.

"I'm sorry," I mumble.

Alpha Tanner pulls on my hair, forcing me to look up at him and he slaps me. My lip splits open and the side of my face feels numb. A few more tears run down my cheeks. My breathing is starting to come in ragged gasps. Alpha Tanner's grip on my hair disappears and he steps back beside Luna Ricki.

"We called you here to tell you that the Alpha of Bloodlust pack is coming today," he says. "You will act like you have a normal life here and hide your abusive past. You will pretend you live in the pack house and enjoy spending time with the other pack members."

What? I can't do that, can I? The visiting Alpha will see right through me and any act I try to put on.

"What are you waiting for? Go!" Luna Ricki shouts harshly.

Her pale green eyes glow and I feel like every bone in my body has been broken, all at the same time. I collapse on the ground, convulsing. I know that it's her power, my bones haven't really been broken but that doesn't ease the pain she's putting me through.

After a few seconds, the pain disappears and I get up. I stumble into the pack house with Beta George following me.

When I'm just inside the pack house, he kicks my legs out from under me and I face plant onto the hard wooden floor. My nose starts bleeding but I don't care. I'm used to having blood on my face.

Beta George leads me to one of the guest rooms in the pack house, slaps me, and leaves. Times when I'm left alone are rare, but the best times.

I take a Kleenex and pinch my nose until the bleeding stops. Someone has laid some clothes on the bed. I grab them and take a quick shower, the first one in a week. The pack lets me shower ever week or two since they don't want me making the pack house stink.

The bedroom has a window seat that I decide to rest on. I look out the window which looks out over the front of the pack house. I watch the leaves blowing softly in the wind and the birds flying by. It's peaceful, and it feels like a small relief, a tiny outlet or drain to let the smallest part of my worries and pain fade away.

Then the sight of a black car pulling up in front of the pack house brings all my pain crashing back to front of my mind. He's here already!

Out of nerves, I dig the fingernails of my index, middle, ring and pinky finger into my forearm. I squeeze hard. I know I should stop but I can't. I press my nails into my skin even more. I deserve this pain.

I watch at a guy that looks to be about 20 years old gets out of the car. Alpha Tanner and Luna Ricki come out of the pack house to welcome the visiting Alpha.

By now, my nails are pressing hard enough into my skin to leave scars.

Then the door to the room flys open. Standing there is Marco. He smirks evilly before he comes over to me and grabs my arm. He drags me out of the room, down the hall and into his room.

He closes the door and throws me onto the floor. I know what's about to happen. Marco will start abusing me like he has many times before.

He sometimes likes to hit me in private, so he can be alone and no one would come join in. That or he uses me to pleasure himself.

My hand finds its way to the indents from my nails still in the skin of my forearm. I start digging my nails into my skin again.

I receive a backhand slap across the face, a sharp kick in the stomach and a hard punch in breast. Why can't I just leave this torture?

Then he takes out his silver knife. The one he keeps in his desk drawer just for torturing me.

Please, let me leave this world and have peace.

He starts stabbing me. He makes me stand against the wall and uses my body as a target for him to aim at. Marco throws the knife and hits my shoulder.

He never aims for my head or chest. He needs me to stay alive.

After a while, he puts the knife away. The cuts are starting to heal. Surprising me, Marco gives me a cloth to wipe away the blood covering my body.

When all the blood is off my body, he pushes me against the wall and forces his lips onto mine. I don't kiss him back but I don't try to resist; I know it's pointless and only hurts me more.

Marco pulls away and pulls my shirt over my head before forcing himself onto me again.

I don't even realize the door has opened. Not until I hear a low growl. Marco pulls away and releases me. I look to see the visiting Alpha standing there and looking angry.

My senses aren't as strong as a healthy werewolf's but now I can smell the amazing scent of honey and maple.

My mate.