Chapter 25: I Like You, Drake

Drake's POV

Her voice is so beautiful.

That's all I can hear as she looks up at the moon.

She knows how to calm people, or at least my brother and I. All thought of the nightmare is mostly forgotten for now, just a few insignificant remains left behind.

My arm is still around her waist. Our bodies fit together perfectly, like two puzzle pieces. It just shows how we're meant to be together. We're getting closer and our bond is growing stronger, even though we had a very rough start.

Jamie buries his head in my chest again. I can tell he's tired, and I think Lily is starting to get cold out here on the balcony.

"Come on," I say quietly. "Let's head back to bed."

Lily looks up at me and nods. She takes my hand again and leads me back inside, closing and locking the balcony door behind us. I lay Jamie on the bed and he only groans softly, already asleep again. Lily lays beside him on her back, with one arm around him. She looks at me, waiting for me to get in bed beside her.

I climb under the covers and lay on my side facing my mate, wrapping my arm around her. She closes her eyes, but I keep mine open. I'm tired and I know I should probably try to get back to sleep, but honestly, I'm scared. I don't want to have that nightmare again, or see anything related to it.

Sort of pathetic for an Alpha, I know. Scared of nightmare, a memory that happened three years ago.

It all felt so real. If my mate and our wolves didn't appear, I honestly wouldn't have guessed it was a dream. I'm just glad it didn't get to the part where I was whipped with a cat o' nine tails whip that was dipped in wolfsbane and had a silver ball or spike on each end.

That's what gave me most of the physical scars. They would bring it down repeatedly in the same place on my skin, and because of the nine tails and how many times they whipped me, most of the wounds were hit more than fifteen times, give or take a few.

I shiver involuntarily just thinking about the pain I felt then. That was the most pain I ever felt, physically at least.

"You're scared." I didn't realize Lily's eyes had reopened and she was looking at me. "Where's Arrow? Shouldn't he be trying to get you to think about something else?"

I look in my mind, searching for my wolf. Then I notice that I blocked him out.

Finally! He shouts when I lower my walls. Stop blocking me out whenever you think about what happened at Redriver!

I didn't mean to put up my walls, I reply. I never realized I did it.

Well start realizing, and stop doing it, Arrow says. I want to help you but I can't do that if I can't reach you.

I smile slightly. That's my wolf, and I love him, even if he does get a bit annoying sometimes.

Arrow scoffs. Says you, did you ever think of how I feel, being stuck with a boring old booty-licker?

What does that even mean? I ask.

I don't know.

I just roll my eyes.

"You should try to sleep," Lily says quietly. My eyes widen in a slight panic as I think of the nightmare I had before. "Drake, I'm here for you. Nothing bad will happen."

Slowly I nod. I put my face by her neck, breathing in her sweet lily and mandarin scent. It's like a sedative to me, calming me and helping me fall asleep. Somehow, I know I won't have that dream again.