Chapter 47: Waking Up

I'm happy to say I've published the prologue and first chapter of Rei and Asher's story, called Rogue Queen. Please check it out and if you do decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it. I already love Killian and Zaine, the book's local gays 🏳️‍🌈.

Anyway, One Suicidal is almost done. I think I'll do only one or two more chapters before the epilogue. But I'm fickle, so we'll see.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Lily's POV

It's been three days since the battle.

Drake and I have completed the mating process. I was blushing a lot the next morning when Dezi, Emily and Darren found out. Eric wasn't as loud as they were, but he congratulated Drake and I. Jamie was excited, saying that I really was his family now, along with the rest of my siblings.

Nick still hasn't shown any sign of waking up and Axel is... well, he's definitely not doing the best. He's been back and forth between sitting beside Nick and looking depressed and lost, and torturing Zane, where he looks feral and insane. Cam says he's had to pretty much force food and water down Axel's throat since he isn't taking care of himself.

Luke and Cam aren't the best either. Luke doesn't leave Nick's private hospital room unless it's to go to the bathroom or shower. He has dark bags under his eyes and looks so lost it hurts my heart. Cam's doing the best he can to take care of Luke and Axel. I can tell he's trying to stay strong, but he's struggling.

I could see the pain in Eric's eyes when he saw the state his best friends are on.

Eric, Zero, Jamie, Drake, Darren and I have been staying at Redriver, to be with Nick and help Luke, Cam and Axel. Drake and Darren sometimes work on their paperwork, but mostly they set it aside to take care of our friends.

Axel has gotten rid of Redriver's rankings and told the pack that he'll help them get settled and make new rules once Nick wakes up. Scarlet and Harvey have been helping the pack get settled and comfortable.

Right now I'm sitting on Drake's lap in Nick's hospital room. Axel, Luke, Cam, Eric, Darren, Jamie and Zero are here with us. Luke is on one side of Nick's bed with Eric beside him and Darren on Eric's other side. Axel and Cam on the other side of the bed. Drake and I are sitting along the wall with the door, with Jamie and Zero sitting together on one chair beside us. The only sound in the room is the constant beeping of the heart monitor.

Nick's been getting better. The new doctor (Axel fired the old one since he kept trying make moves on Axel, Darren and Drake) says Nick's spine and skull are both nearly healed. Apparently whatever they used to put Nick in the coma slowed his healing and blocks his bond to Luke. Luke has said he occasionally gets flashes of desperation and frustration from the bond, telling us Nick is trying to wake up.

I look around at everyone. All eyes are either on Nick's still form or on the ground. My eyes stay on Axel. He looks so depressed and empty. I remember how I always whispered poems when I cut. Somehow, hearing the words whispered softly made me feel calmer, a little more at peace. I wonder if it would do the same for my brother.

I take a slow, deep breath before starting to whisper a soft poem, watching Axel the whole time.

"The darkness takes him over,
The sickness pulls him in;
His eyes - a blown out candle,
I wish to go with him.

Sometimes I see a flicker -
A light that shone from them;
I'd hold him to me tightly,
Before he's gone again."

I change one word, saying 'I'd' instead of just 'I' in the second-last line. While I was watching Axel for most of the poem, my eyes shifted to meet Cam's as I said the last two lines. Cam gives me a faint smile, understanding why I was looking at him.