Chapter 36: Working Throught it

Axel's POV

I watch as Drake falls unconscious. His shoulders slump and he would fall forward and face plant if Nick wasn't holding his neck. Nick gently lowers Drake's head and positions him so he's lying on his back.

"What did you plant in his mind?" I ask, my voice monotone.

Amara looks up at me. "He thinks Bloodlust pack attacks your pack every few weeks, and that the Beta and Luna want to kill him. Bloodlust abused him, they gave him the scars on his back. They didn't care he was the next Alpha and he ran away at fifteen after they killed his brother. He ran here and joined your pack. He didn't care when his parents died, and knows he's the Alpha of Bloodlust, though he despises it. He ranks directly below you two. You and your twin made it your responsibility to take care of him and train him. He should trust you with his life."

"Why do you say 'should?'" Nick asks.

"I don't control emotions or how a person feels towards another person," Amara answers. "I control memories. And with the images I planted of you twins helping him, he should trust you."

"And he's loyal?" Zane says.

"Of course," Amara replies. "Though, because he doesn't remember his mate, he'll think it's the day before he met her. So from what I saw in his memories, he should think it's around May seventeenth."

Zane nods slowly. "Good. One of you twins carry him and let's go. Harvey, whatever-the-h3ll-your-name-is, you're dismissed."

I roll my eyes. Damn, he really is awful at names.

Nick carefully picks up the unconscious Alpha and follows Zane down the hall towards the door. Walking behind my twin, I cast a quick glance over my shoulder at Harvey and Jordan. Jordan is talking to Amara while Harvey watches us, ready to alert Jordan if Zane turns around.

Axel, Nick, Jordan says. There's something else Amara didn't say. Alpha Drake should be loyal to you. She says she tried to manipulate his memories so he's loyal to you two, but not Zane. So if you don't follow Zane, he might not either.

Interesting, Nick murmurs. That'll definitely help. Tell Amara we said thank you.

Will do, Jordan replies. Oh, and he thinks Axel's nickname for him is Draco.

Before I can reply, Jordan cuts the link.

"Axel, get an IV from the hospital wing," Zane orders. "We'll stick a fake IV in his arm to make it seem like he's been in a coma for a month. Meet us in the empty bedroom beside yours."

I nod and head off to the hospital wing of the pack house. I find the pack doctor going through some files. He looks up when I enter the room.

"Beta Axel," he says, bowing his head. "What can I do for you? Do you need some release, 'cause I can help with that too?"

I roll my eyes. Slvtty Doctor.

"I need an IV," I say.

"Anything else?" he asks, trying to sound seductive.

"Just get the damn IV," I growl, letting my canines extend.

The doctor scurries off and return with an IV filled with cold water. He explains to me how to properly insert the needle into the back of someone's hand while continuously trying to make a move on me. He tried to kiss me. He has no self respect. Maybe he should check himself for STDs.

Eventually I just give up on listening to him and walk away with the IV.

I head upstairs to the beta floor. In the bedroom beside Nick and I's, I find Zane and Nick by the bedside and Drake lying on the bed, still unconscious.