Chapter 16: She Doesn't Look Back

Lily's POV

Eric and Drake get up and leave.

I don't know what to do. Stay in the living room, go upstairs, maybe... No, I'll probably be beaten for not following an order. I can't go after my mate and brother... Can I?

Yes, we can. We won't be beaten, Luna says. Drake will never hurt us.

I... I'm just not sure, I reply quietly.

It's fine, I understand, Luna whispers. Why don't you give me control and I can follow them?

I don't answer for a few moments.

OK, I say eventually.

I close my eyes and give my wolf control over our body. Luna opens our eyes.

Lily, are sure you're OK if I follow them? She asks.

I... I guess... I whisper.

Luna causes a warm smile to appear on our face. She stands and sneaks outside. Beta Darren, Luke and Cam don't notice. I think the volume of their game is too loud.

Luna follows the scents of Drake and Eric to the pack prison. I shiver, thinking of my little cell in my old pack's prison.

The warrior wolves guarding the entrance growl at Luna until she twists her neck for them to see Drake's mark. They stop growling but still look apprehensive.

"Luna," one guard murmurs, nodding politely.

"Take me to Drake and Eric," Luna says. The guards look at each other, unsure. "Now," Luna adds, her voice full of authority.

Another guard steps forward. He still looks unsure but he can see Luna isn't leaving any time soon if he doesn't show her.

"Alright, follow me, Luna," the guard mumbles.

"Thank you," Luna says.

The guard opens the door and I immediately hear the screams, growls and yells. I feel scared. What's happening?

So the walls must be sound proof, Luna murmurs.

The guard leads us inside the building and through a network of underground tunnels, passing imprisoned rogues and a few empty cells.

The terrified screams, furious growls, and yells of both pain and anger echo through the tunnels. It feels like they're echoing in my chest too, sending vibrations through my soul. I can't understand the words that are being shouted.

The echoes get louder and louder until the source is just around the corner.

"Thank you," Luna says again. "You can go back to your post again."

"Are you sure Luna?" The guard asks. "You'll be able to find your way out on your own?"

"Probably not, but Drake can show me," Luna replies.

Hesitantly, he nods and goes back through the tunnels the way we came. Luna stays where she was, in a place where no one around the corner can see her.

Just then, a louder scream pierces the air. It sounds like it's from a girl, maybe about the same age as me.

"I don't know!" screams the girl. "I don't know where they went!"

"I know you don't," says a cold, malicious voice. "But they know and I'll get the information out of them if it's the last thing I do."

My blood runs cold at the sound of that voice. I know who it is but as the same time, I don't. That voice can't belong to him, that doesn't sound like the Drake I know.

He says he became cold, and distant. I didn't think he still is.

I hear the girl gasping for breathe. "How is torturing me supposed to help you get what you want?" The girl asks, angry but still scared.

I finally recognize the girl's voice. It's Bree, my old pack's sl*t.

"If anyone in the rest of your pack of dogs has any heart, then they'll speak up to help you," Eric says, his voice just as cold as Drake's. "As soon as someone tells us what we want, then we'll leave and stop torturing all of you."

"For today, at least," Drake adds, clearly smirking in a way that would match his voice.

I feel a flicker of fear pass through me. It's like they're completely different people. I've never seen this side of my mate or my brother. And it's scary.

If they can do this to a member of my pack, they can easily do the same to me.

Luna still doesn't move. She keeps listening. There's a splatter, like liquid hitting the wall or ground, another scream, the smell of blood and dark laughter.

They're laughing?! Luna cries. They're sick!

I don't say anything.

"Kill her, we're not going to say anything!" yells a new voice.

I recognize it immediately. It's the voice of my Father. I hear a loud growl.

"No one expected you to say anything anyway, you worthless piece of sh*t!" Eric screams. "You let that stupid pack of dogs beat us! All of us! From the damn day we turned six, we never knew anything even remotely like peace! You drove the rest of my real family to commit suicide and yet you didn't lift a damn finger! I am f*cking disgusted and ashamed that my parents are less than the lowest omega and don't care about a single one of their 15 childern!" I've never seem him lose control like this. It's unnerving, and frightening. He pauses to breathe before continuing. "Now I'm asking you to tell me where the f*ck my oldest twin siblings went," Eric snarls, breathing heavily after his rant.

No one speaks.

"Well, if we don't get an answer, then just maybe..." Drake pauses for effect. Everyone remains silent. "I'll have a little pleasurable fun with this girl here."

Cries of exclamation rise from the silence, one louder than the rest. I'm guessing it's from Bree's mate. Luna raises both of our hands to cover our mouth.

That's too far, she says. We should go.

I nod, too shocked to say anything. Luna starts making her way back through the tunnels, following our scent from before. She makes it out and, not saying a word to any of the guards, takes off running.

And she doesn't look back.