Chapter 23: Behind Their Backs

Nick's POV

I land on another branch and stop to look around. No one other than my twin is nearby.

Wait, I say.

Axel stops jumping from branch to branch and looks at me.

What is it? He asks.

I tilt my head at him. Are we not going to talk about what just happened?

My twin lets out a sigh. I'm not sure I want to.

We have to figure out what we're going to do, I mutter. We can't go into this unprepared. We know our goal, but we need to plot out how to get there.

Can't we just wing it? he asks, his voice holding on to a weak hope.

He already knows the answer, he just doesn't want to have to face it.

If we slip up, he'll kill us, I say. We can't let that happen.

He sighs again. So what are we going to do?

We can't go back to Redriver now, I say. We'll be kicked back to deltas and won't be able to get close to Zane...

I trail off. I can sense Axel's mood drop and grow even more somber.

We have to go through with Zane's orders, don't we? he groans.

We don't really have a choice, I mutter. Even if we don't, if we just openly protect both Jamie and Alpha Drake, Zane will kill us and find someone else to do our job.

But we can't give Jamie to him... Axel says, a faint whine in his tone. It'll destroy both of them, Jamie and Alpha Drake. Can't we just give him the Alpha instead? We can do our best to protect him while he's in Zane's grasp and break him out as soon as possible.

I nod. That sounds a lot better. We'll really be testing our acting skills, especially when we get back to Redriver.

Then it's a good thing Redriver says we're gifted actors, Axel replies. He's silent for a while. Are we really going to do this? Go against the pack that made us who we are now?

I growl lowly. Are you joking? We have our brother and sister that we have to protect. We have our mates. For once we actually have people who like us, or at least aren't scared of us. And in my opinion, Redriver was just as bad as Nightmoon, if not worse. Now we have another chance to start over.

I know, Axel says, I just wanted to see what you thought.

I glare at him. And you couldn't have just asked instead of getting me riled up?

Yeah, but it's so fun making you mad, my twin replies. Even in the shadows, I can tell he has a cheeky grin on his face. Come on, let's get back. I miss Cam...

I nod again and we continue leaping through the trees. Soon, the dark shape of Bloodlust's pack house appears. The room Luke and I are staying in is right beside the room Axel and Cam are sharing. My twin and I head around to the side of the pack house our rooms are on when we both spot two figures on the balcony of Luke and I's room.

We stop, still crouching on branches and hidden in the dark shadows of the trees.

Sh*t, Axel says. They woke up before we got back.

Let's just say we couldn't sleep so we tried going for a run to tire ourselves out, I suggest.

Axel nods. Sounds good.