Chapter 10: Cursed

Lily's POV

The walls are suffocating me.

They're closing in on me, surrounding me. Blood red words fade into view, scrawled on the walls as they continue to press forward to trap me.

Stupid. Brat. Outcast. Messed-up. Freak. Disgusting. Moron, Fat. useless. Unneeded. Unwanted. Unloved. Weak. Pathetic. Waste of space. Wreck. Disappointment. Failure. Disaster.

I curl up into a ball and start crying in the corner of the room.

Then his face appears. He comes closer to me. I try to move away.

Alpha Drake slaps me across the face then laughs, a cold, cruel laugh. I cry harder, trying to be as quiet as possible, just like I'm always told to.

"Keep the sobs to yourself."

"Others don't need to hear your pathetic wails."

"Shut up before we get your vocal cords removed."

"If you want to cry, make sure we don't hear it."

That's what they said and that's what I'll do. Alpha Drake hits me again. Beta Darren appears and joins him. Then suddenly they're gone. They just disappear into thin air.

And Eric replaces them. My brother crouches next to me. He comforts me.

I look into his eyes and he gives me a warm smile.

Then he gasps, shakes his head and backs away from me.

I see his eyes turning an ice blue. Then Eric's face twists into a sneer. He laughs just like Alpha Drake did. Then he lunges towards me, wrapping his hands around my throat.

As he chokes the life out of my body, I close my eyes and scream. Eric's grip on my throat disappears. I open my eyes again to find myself still curled up in the corner of the hospital room.

A small spot of red has bloomed on the bandage on my arm that Ben put on it when he found me in the bathroom connected to the room. I broke the mirror and used one of the shards to cut. I know I shouldn't have done it but it was too tempting.

Alpha Drake appears in the doorway. His gaze immediately lands on me and he comes towards me. I push myself against the wall, trying to get away from him.

More tears leak from my eyes but I manage to keep my cries from escaping my lips. My attempts at trying to move away fail and Alpha Drake gently picks up my frail body and sits down on one of the chairs.

I want to move away, but the sparks help me to calm down. Instead, I find myself leaning into Alpha Drake's chest. I hope he doesn't hit me for doing this.

He doesn't. Instead, he keeps his arms wrapped around me in a fierce but gentle hug.

Beta Darren, Ben, Eric and two other wolves enter the room. At the sight of Eric, I start crying harder.

What happened to him? He tried to kill me.

My brother tries moving closer to me. I'm unable to restrain my tiny scream of fear. Eric freezes and moves away to stand with the two unknown wolves. One has blonde hair and the other has brown hair.

"She was in the corner," Alpha Drake tells the others.

"You don't think she knows, do you? I thought you said she trusted Eric," says the brown-haired wolf.

He looks concerned. Why is he worried? I don't know him and I don't think he knows me.

"I don't know. But Alpha, she cut again," Ben says. "I was checking on one of the other patients and when I came back, she was in the bathroom holding a shard of broken mirror."

All six of the werewolves look at me sadly.

"Lily, when are you going to stop cutting yourself?" Alpha Drake asks quietly.

I don't make any movement or sound to answer, I just stay curled up on his lap.

"Lily." I look at my brother. "These are my friends, Luke and Cam," he says once he sees he has my attention. Eric gestures to the two wolves I haven't seen before.

"Nice to finally meet you," Luke smiles.

"Yeah, Eric talked about you a lot," Cam adds.

I look at Eric. He gives me a warm smile. It's just like what he did before. Reminded of that, I shiver and look away.

"Ben, can she come back to my house now?" Alpha Drake asks.

"Of course Alpha. I just want to do one more check upon her first," Ben replies.

Alpha Drake sets me gently on the hospital bed.

"Eric, we should go. Now," Luke says suddenly.

His voice is urgent. Without hesitation, Eric, Luke and Cam all race out of the room.

Beta Darren looks like he's mind-linking the pack doctor. Ben's eyes widen, then he comes over to me and checks me over, looking at my blood pressure and other stuff.

"Darren, go see where Eric and his friends are," the Alpha says.

Beta Darren nods and disappears out the door.

When Ben is done and lets me go, Alpha Drake picks me up again. I notice that his eyes fog over before he carries me out of the pack hospital. Where's he taking me? The pack prison? Some place where he can beat me without anyone else knowing or watching?

"Don't worry Sweetheart," Alpha Drake says quietly. "I won't hurt you now, or ever again. You'll be safe with me, I promise."

I don't now whether to believe him or not. I want to believe him but he can easily hurt me. I give a small nod in response.

After a while, we reach what must be the Alpha's house. Alpha Drake opens the door without dropping me and carries me inside, using his foot to close the door behind him.

My mate gently puts me down on the couch and goes into the kitchen. There isn't very much for me to do. I lift my hand to the scars on my other arms where I was digging my nails into my skin. Pressing each of my fingernails to the mark it made before, I squeeze my arm, digging in my nails again.

I want to leave scars. I want to hurt my body. I want to cause myself pain. If no one is going to give me the pain I deserve, I'll do it myself. And besides, it's like a small relief a small light shining in the darkness. A small escape that will always be there, no matter what.

Pain is always an option and there's so many ways to cause it. To me, pain is a friend.

My best friend.

Eric's POV

We manage to make it to our underground bunker where we've lived for pretty much the whole time I've been a rogue. It's nearly that time.

"I hate this," I say, pacing back and forth as the last seconds tick by. "I really f*cking hate this."

"So do we," Luke replies. "We hate having this happen to you. We're like brothers, Icebloods, and we protect each other."

"But it's hard protecting you against this," Cam adds.

Both of them gave faint, half-hearted smiles.

Then everything becomes black.