Chapter 21: Alpha Zane

Lily's POV

"I'll stay with her," Jamie's voice says. I remain still, keeping my eyes closed. "You go do your Alpha stuff. I can talk with her, or just sit without talking... Maybe, it depends how long without talking, I like to talk."

"I don't know Jamie... She barely knows you," Drake's voice replies, sounding hesitant.

"So this is a chance for me to get to know her, and her to get to know me!" Jamie cries defiantly.

"Careful or you'll wake her up," Drake says. I hear a sigh. "Alright fine, I'll let you stay with her." There's the sound of an excited squeal. "I'll tell Eric to come here, and see if his friends and brothers want to come too."

"Do you trust the twins? And what about Darren?" Jamie asks.

"He has work to do too. I'll bring him with me when I come back later. And I told Eric we'll give the twins the benefit of the doubt until they give us a reason not to trust them."

"OK! Now off you go. Go get your work done and come back later, bye!"

Drake chuckles, but I hear footsteps and the opening and closing of a door. Then there's nothing but silence.

I love you Lily, Drake says through our mind-link. And I know you're awake.

I blush slightly and open my eyes.

"Good, you're awake!" Jamie is sitting at the end of the bed, grinning at me excitedly. "I wasn't sure how much longer I could go without talking. Oh, maybe I'm too loud? I can calm down." He lets his smile fade, closes his eyes and takes a few deep breathes, before reopening his eyes and grinning again. "Nope, not working, can't do it... Oh well, you don't mind do you?"

"No, that's fine," I say, smiling slightly as I sit up. "There's something about you that keeps me calm and not so afraid of you."

I don't think it's possible, but Jamie's grin grows even wider until the point I think his face might split. He looks like the Cheshire cat.

"Yay!" Jamie squeals. "I don't want you to be afraid of me, I'm like Drakey. Really super tough on the outside but cuddly and fluffy and squishy on the inside."

He crawls across the bed towards me, going slower as he grows closer to me. Jamie snuggles up against my side, looking up at me with big brown eyes that match Drake's. Hesitantly, I place one of my arms around his shoulders and the other under his knees, and when he doesn't move, I pull him onto my lap. Then I move the arm under this legs to wrap loosely around him with my other arm. Jamie leans to me, closing his eyes and smiling in content.

"Lily, are you in there?!" Eric's voice shouts as he knocks on the door.

"Yeah, I'm here!" I shout back.

It takes a second before I realize that I shouted. I shouted...

Oh no... What if Eric hits me for raising my voice? What if he hits me just for speaking in general? I was never allowed to speak before. I feel my heartbeat pick up as I grow scared.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, Lils," Jamie says softly, "don't be scared. He won't hurt you. If he does then I'll make him dress up like a princess and we can rescue him! Do you think he'll look good in makeup?"

"Yes!" cry the voices of Eric's friends as I smile and feel my fear slowly melt away.

A few moments later, someone fakes a cough. "Um, we'll be downstairs," Luke's voice mumbles.

I hear the footsteps of at least two people walking down the hall towards the steps.

"Sorry about them," Eric's voice sighs. "Lily, do you want to come out? Drake told us about his brother and said to watch over you. And Nick and Axel said they'd tell us about their past."