Chapter 42: The Battle (pt. 1)

Drake's POV

I smirk as I watch the battle begin.

Growls, snarls and howls rip through the cool morning air. Blood droplets fly as teeth and claws meet flesh. I see human vs human, wolf against wolf, and human fighting wolf. All sorts of fights in both forms.

I run towards the closet tree and climb up to the highest branch that won't break under my weight. If it wasn't for the damn leaves, I would be able to see most of the battle from up here.

Through the gaps in the leaves, I can see Asher and Blake in wolf form both fighting lower ranked betas and higher ranked gammas that are trying to help Zane who is fighting River. Darren has disappeared and Nick and Axel are still in human form, slinking through the mass of fighting wolves and killing our wolves.

That wasn't part of what we discussed; we agreed that if the twins kill Zane, I kill Lily. They mostly slit the throats of the gammas, maybe a few betas here or a delta there. Harvey and Scarlet are doing the same and Jordan is no where in sight. My eyes narrow when Axel tackles a gamma who has a Bloodlust wolf pinned to the ground and kills her while Nick checks to make sure the Bloodlust wolf is alright.

They're choosing to side with Bloodlust then huh, when Axel said they weren't. Guess he lied. So I'll make sure they regret it.

Already the ground is covered in blood. That along with the morning dew makes the grass slippery, and can cause a fatal mistake in a battle. If you slip and fall, your opponent can and will attack when you're still recovering.

I look around, searching for my target. She's not the only one with platinum blonde hair or a mostly white wolf. Eventually, I spot her in human form in the middle of the fray, being closely watched by four wolves, one of them being Darren.

My eyes trace a path in the branches so I can get to her without having to go through the bloodbath on the ground. I crouch down and let my claws come out before leaping to a different branch. My hands grip the rough bark and my momentum causes my body to swing in a circle before I plant my feet on the branch and crouch down again, getting ready to leap to the next branch.

I continue this for a while until I'm above my target and her guard dogs. I smell the air.

They said she was our mate, I think. I smell nothing exotic or beautiful, other than blood. I feel no attraction to her either. Arrow, what do you think?

My wolf growls. I get nothing. I know you said not to hope but too bad, I did. I hoped they were telling the truth because I want someone to cherish and love. His voice fades from angry to upset as he continues to speak. We're twenty years old, Drake, most of our kind find their mate when they're a year or two younger than us. I want someone we can trust and share our deepest fears with. I want someone to love us, and someone we can love. I want our mate.

Arrow whimpers quietly and lies down in a corner of my mind. I can feel his despair and pain and it angers me that my wolf is hurting. Fvck whatever I said to the twins, I'm killing her.

I look down at the wolves guarding Lily.

How should I take them out? Darren will put up the best fight, so I should get rid of him first. Then I'm not sure about the other three wolves guarding their Luna. I could just fight and kill them.

My eyes spark as I figure out what I can do. I feel a malicious smirk tug at my lips. I guess my last name fits me. I'm going to kill her and make them watch. All of them.

I drop down a few meters in front of Darren. He growls lowly at me, his stance defensive and threatening. I can see the pain and desperation in his eyes. I only smirk at him, making his eyes widen and causing fear to join the mix of emotions swirling within them.