Chapter 22: Joining the Pack

Lily's POV

We keep playing the question game until Drake and Beta Darren get back. We didn't have to wait very long; Cam is taking his second turn when we hear them.

Beta Darren's voice shrieks, "WHERE'S MY PUPPY!" The door is almost broken off its hinges as he comes running inside, followed by a chuckling Drake.

Jamie huffs. "I'm a wolf, not a puppy," he says. "You're the puppy."

As Darren scoops up Jamie in his arms, Drake comes over to me and lifts me up, sitting down with me on his lap so my left side is against his front. He places a gentle kiss on my cheek.

"I love you," he whispers.

In response, I lean closer to him, causing him to wrap his arms around me tightly, but not tight enough to be restricting and scaring me.

I turn my attention back to Beta Darren and Jamie, who are sat beside Drake and I and arguing on who's a puppy and who's not.

"I'm not a puppy!" Beta Darren says. He looks at Drake with puppy eyes. "Drake, tell him!"

Drake chuckles and I can feel his muscled chest vibrate.

"With that expression," Drake replies, "it's hard to deny you're not the pup."

Beta Darren scowls and pouts, crossing his arms. Jamie grins in triumph. Does he ever stop grinning? Doesn't his face hurt by now?

"So Lily, you said something about a rogue kingdom," Drake says.

I nod before looking at Eric, wanting him to explain it. Getting the message, Eric goes on to explain everything about the rogues that he, Jamie, Luke and Cam said earlier.

"So it's pretty much like any other pack with the King as alpha and the Queen as Luna?" Beta Darren wonders.

"Basically," Jamie nods. "But the King and Fire Girl aren't together; Fire Girl keeps saying no to the King."

"How hasn't news of this spread?" Axel asks.

"The rogues are careful," Luke answers. "Everyone does their part to keep the secret."

"You won't tell, will you?" Jamie says, as if asking someone not to tell that he ate the last cookie. "You'll keep all of this a secret, right?"

"Of course," Drake replies.

"Yeah, what he said," Beta Darren adds.

Nick and Axel look at each other before both of them nod.

"We won't tell," Nick says.

"Now, who's hungry?" Drake asks.

"I am!" Axel shouts, raising his hand and bouncing in his seat.

Beta Darren raises his hand too. "I second that!"

Jamie's puts both of his hand in the air. "I third that! But can I please have one more turn in the question game first?"

"If everyone else doesn't mind," I tell him.

No one objects to Jamie taking another turn, so he does.

"Everyone, including Drakey and Darren because I forget, what's your full name?"

"Lily Annabelle Heart," I mumble.

"Drake Sabre Malice," Drake says.

"Cameron Stacey..." Cam sounds reluctant to say his last name. Eric gives him an encouraging look. "Cameron Stacey Parks."

"Luke Michael Stevens."

"Nick Axel Heart."

"Axel Nick Heart. Hey, we didn't choose it!" Axel whines when everyone gives the twins questioning looks. "If you have a problem with it, blame Jacka-"