Chapter 12: The Mark of an Alpha

Lily's POV

I love Eric.

He's my brother and he's helped me to get through the torture in the first nine years of my life. I didn't even realize I missed him. Not until I saw and remembered him in the hospital.

Part of me still believes he's going to leave me again and not come back but the other part of me believes he's here to stay.

I don't know which part is right. I want to believe he'll stay but after years of torture, I've learned not to get my hopes up.

And he left with his friends for some time while Alpha Drake took me to his house.

"Lily," says Alpha Drake's voice.

I look to see that he's set six plates on the table. Each plate has pork chops and rice on it.

"Come on Lily," Eric murmurs, "let's go eat."

I nod as Eric stands and makes his way over to the table. I follow him but don't sit down, instead remaining standing beside the table.

"Lily, you can sit down," Alpha Drake says.

I don't want to get in trouble for not listening to the Alpha so I sit between Alpha Drake and Eric. Everyone starts eating. I take a few small bites.

The words Nightmoon pack embedded into my mind still linger in my head.

"You're so fat, you look like a pig."

"I don't see why we need to feed you, your already fatter than the rest of us."

"Maybe we should put you on a diet, then there'll still be food for everyone else."

I only eat a tiny bit. Then I push the plate away and watch everyone else eat.

"Are you gonna eat more?" Alpha Drake asks.

I shake my head.

"Your not fat if that's what your thinking," Eric says. "Your thin and you need to eat."

He takes my fork, which has a piece of pork chop on it, and brings it up to my mouth. I keep my mouth shut and shake my head. Eric doesn't stop trying to get me to eat though.

The others try to help him. Telling me I need to eat and that I need to put on a few more pounds. Telling me I'm too thin to be healthy and that they're trying to help me.

Lies.

All of it. It's all just pointless lies. They just want me to eat so they have a reason to hit me. They're trying to seem all nice and kind and look like they actually care for me. Then when I start warm up to them, they'll turn on me.

It's happened a my life. People will approach me, tell me they'll get me out of the pain-filled place I called home. Then, when I start to trust them, they laugh at how gullible I am and beat me. Beat me for hours on end until they get tired of it.

It's happened so many times before and it'll happen again. I just know it. Alpha Tanner probably just sent me here to get them to break me down even more. I bet the guy holding the fork up to my mouth isn't even my real brother, just someone pretending to be him.

The real Eric is probably dead. He probably died years ago.

I feel so overwhelmed. I don't know if this is real or not. I don't know what I should believe. Is this the way my horrible life continues or is it the way my new life begins?

I'm just not sure. I'm not sure of anything. Am I going to be beaten or not? I don't think I've ever gone this long without suffering at least ten hits. Am I going to be taken back to my cell in the pack prison or not? I want to believe that all that suffering is in my past, I really do, but after living my whole life like that, I'm not sure I can leave it behind.