Chapter 28: Girl Friends

Lily's POV

"You need to get this! Ooo, and this! And this!"

How much energy does this girl have? We've been to a dozen shops and she's still going.

"Slow down!" I say as Dezi adds another shirt to the pile in her arms.

"Whoops, I'm going to fast again, aren't I?" she asks, smiling apologetically. "Sorry Lily, I'm just so excited to finally meet you! And I get the honors of being your first girl friend!"

I smile back. She's really hyper, but I like Dezi. She's like the opposite of me, and somehow I find comfort in that and she's really nice. She's practically overflowing with energy and I'm more relaxed. She's loud and outgoing, I'm quiet and shy.

She has darker skin and her dark brown hair is in Dutch braids that end at her shoulder blades. Her hazel eyes are constantly lit up with happiness or excitement.

I was nervous around her before, but her nice and extroverted attitude have definitely lessened my unsureness.

Drake is a few feet behind me. Jamie dragged Darren off to get some clothes for himself a few minutes ago. Drake won't let me out of his sight, and every five minutes or so he wraps his arms around me and breathes in my scent.

I'm not annoyed at his actions or anything. I know why he keeps doing that. He's still a bit shaken even though he's trying to hide it, and he finds comfort in my scent and keeping me close to him.

We meet back up with Jamie and Darren and pay for the clothes before deciding to go to the mall's food court. There are a lot of different places to get food, and a lot of people already eating. Almost half of the people are from Drake's pack. We find a table and Darren volunteers to stay there with the bags while Dezi, Jamie, Drake and I go get our food.

"What do you want to eat, Sweetheart?" Drake asks, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

I look around at the different places. I've never been to any of them, so I don't know. Drake must sense my unsureness because he suggests we just share something and I agree.

We end up getting chicken and rice from a Chinese or Japanese restaurant. Dezi gets fish and chips from another restaurant and Jamie decides on ramen noodles from the same restaurant Drake and I got our food from.

As we all head back to our table, I spot some girl with auburn hair and green eyes talking to Darren, and he doesn't look really happy.

"Emily," Drake growls under his breath. He looks at me, "Lily, whatever she says - that I should be with her and reject you or some awful thing like that - it's not true. I love you, and I only want you, OK?"

I nod, understanding. Emily must be like Bree, the cliché girl every pack has that's always after the Alpha or future-Alpha.

As we grow closer to the table, Emily turns to look at us. She purses her lips when she sees me but her face lights up as her eyes land on Drake. I notice that her eyes don't hold the same light as her expression. Drake sets the tray of food down and turns to her, his arms crossed and his face expressionless. Jamie slides into the seat beside Darren and Dezi sits on Jamie's other side.

"Babe, there you are! I haven't seen you in so long!" Emily says excitedly.

There's something in her tone. I don't think anyone else notices, but I do. It's probably because I've had years of learning to decode people's voices, trying to figure out if they were going to hit me or not. But there's hints of tiredness and longing in Emily's voice, but I don't think it's longing for my mate.