Cálida

"And now she's dating River," I finish

"That's.....," Max tries, his eyes closed as he tries processing everything. "Let me just..... What?"

"Exactly like that." I swallow. "I told you because I trust you, Max, you-"

"I won't tell a soul, I swear."

I nod, seeing him wink.

"So now we've got River's tragic love life figured out, tell me about yours."

I let out a laugh.

"As dead as the fourteen names on my thigh." Coping mechanisms... Don't we just love them?

"Then you'll have no problem answering who the guy was that dropped you off."

I- what the fuck? To the power of a million?

I swallow.

"I- What do you mean?"

"I saw you get out of his car earlier."

I don't remember where he dropped me off, both of us probably too fucked to care about it in the moment, but if Max saw it, and he was with- "I distracted uncle."

I sigh. Heavily. Too heavy to be able to deny his assumptions.

"He's no one," I spit out defensively, ready to say anything to keep Avery as far away from the picture as possible, cause, let's be honest, he is far away from the picture. He literally is no one. I need to remember that.

"Arlet, come on, it's me."

He pays my knee, tilting his head to the side a little. I sigh again. I hate him.

"His name's Avery. He's the neighbor and he's in my class, he dropped me off, that's all."

"That's all? If you got inside his car then that's most definitely not all."

I let out a laugh, choosing to tell him at least a little more.

"He was one of River's friends first and we.... get alone, I guess... We're not friends, but we're.... I mean...."

We're not friends but we almost always end up ripping each others' clothes off?

"Are you those kinds of friends?"

I should've known keeping secrets from Max is a no-no. He's a snake, he knows how to worm himself into your head, and since he's always been close to me, that path hasn't been difficult for him to walk. I had almost forgotten how smart he is.

"Something like that. We can have somewhat normal conversations one second and the next we're always caught with the hand in the cookie jar."

"Far up the cookie jar."

"Shut up!"

He laughs when I punch his shoulder, bringing out one from me as well. "I didn't plan it, it all happened because of a fucking bet I lost that forced me to say yes to a date."