One More Tattoo

Scarlet Archer's POV

"What the fuck is going on here?" Sam, rightfully, asks us, her eyes jumping between the three of us. Too hazed to speak, I let River handle this one. I sit down on his bed, gathering my thoughts.

This isn't over yet.

"You need to get out of here," River tells Max, checking his phone every two seconds.

"You couldn't hold the ceasefire for another hour or so?" Max mocks him. River, slowly becoming angrier, steps towards him, hovering over him.

"This isn't about us you fucking dickhead, I don't want you to get yourself killed. He isn't going to lethally harm me and Scarlet, but I'm not sure about his affection for you."

"He won't do anything, he just needs a fucking answer from you. Why did you leave the gun here? Are you crazy?"

"Would any of you mind telling me what the fuck I stepped into?" Sam threateningly asks, silencing the feud. River and Max look at each other, not knowing what to tell her. I, on the other hand, couldn't give less shits about it. She already knows.

"He read the news," I slowly, silently start. "And found the gun in River's jacket. If you wouldn't have shown up one of us was probably dead, and Max, I'm sorry, but it isn't going to be me or River. You need to leave."

"Let me call my dad."

"Are you out of your mind?" River asks her, snapping the phone out of her hands. Unlike what I expected, she isn't offended. She's just plainly pissed, and not at River.

"We just need to figure out what to tell him," I say. "Any explanation as to why you'd have a gun that's not only not registered, but probably registered under someone else."

"My dad can buy us time or in worst case, get you out of here."

"No," I tell her, my tone ruder than River's.

As River starts explaining to her the two hundred thirty six reasons why that's a horrendous idea, Max sits down beside me.

"She knows?" he asks, reminding me that he's aware of everything. I sigh, nodding towards the door.

We leave the starcrossed lovers and silently escape to my room, where I tell him the short story of Sam's father and how she fits into the picture apart from being the West's daughter. As soon as he's about to speak again, I see Avery's body climb it's way up to the window, catching him red handed before he's knocked.

"You think they've worked their little fight out yet?" he asks when I open.

Right. He has visual access to our whole lives.

"I don't know," I answer. "You're free to check."

"Hey."

He pulls me back when I turn to go back to Max on my bed, turning me around. His eyes narrow, his hand releasing my arm to touch my lip. "What happened?"